Hockey Season is upon us

ivyleager said:
TizMe said:
Goodness thats an old one! Ok, best winger , left or right, on a rush ending with a shot release just over the blue line ....whos got some old time favs :?: :?:

Well he's not a winger, but Messier (ugliest man in hockey) could skate down the right wing side, and get a shot off and score in the far lower corner of the net. Unbelievable!

Opening night here in Raleigh: Canes vs. Montreal...getting to the game early for some mild tailgating. Really looking forward to Friday nite's game against the Penguin's. Sid the kid will be in the house, as will Eric's younger bro, Jordan. Also, Mark Recchi will return, albeit in a Pittsburgh uniform.

CaryB
Ok Ivy.. you got the 1st game.
The Canes looked mid season the Pens looked AHL.
Next game will be different.
(I hope )

TizMe said:
At least your two teams looked like something! Atlanta looked like a pee wee team last night on opening night. Only good thing about last night was the raising of the SE Div champs banner from last year!

Ah, yes. There is nothing like raising a banner!

BannerNite.jpg

Oh! Pass me the salt for my open wounds !! Im sure coach Hartley had somethings to say to his players after the game last night. Slater got called for some questionable penalties last night as well (IMHO) But one game does make a season !

TizMe said:
Oh! Im sure coach Hartley had somethings to say!

Yes, Coach Hartley. We in Carolina have no respect for the man who 'dissed Ron Francis. Atlanta was the team in town for Ron Francis nite. Now, it's usually a long torrid affair w/ jumbotron flash backs, speeches and the like. Basically, a while to wait on the bench. The league ALWAYS clears the game with the visiting team, so Atlanta knew well before hand that the celebration would be the night they were in town. It's my understanding that the visiting club can decline, and the league will seek approval from another visiting team. Anyway, Hartley chose to have his team stay in the locker room during the celebration. The only people from the Atlanta organization on their bench honoring Francis were a few guys from the training staff, and maybe an assistant coach. Hartley's excuse to the media was that he didn't want his club distracted by the on ice celebrations. Atlanta ended up losing the game anyway.

The next year Carolina had to sit thru Scott Stevens nite in Jersey, and I think we lost in a shutout. While we Carolina fans have no love for Stevens (who took out both Glen Wesley and Ron Francis in one playoff series in 2001), you have to honor a guy who had a terrific career like he did.

So Hartley had something to say......I don't freakin care!

CaryB

I'm not sure that by firing Hartley, management fired the right guy! A coach isn't the one bringing in the talent, making trades, giving away draft picks, etc. Although I'm no Hartley fan, I don't think Atlanta's current situation is all his doing. The GM is highly suspect. We'll see if the recent firing has any effect on the team's road trip.

CaryB
Go 'Canes!

Marillion Fan said:
Ok Ivy we are 1 & 1 on the season.
Although we looked bad for the 1st half of the game I thought we took over after it went to 3-1.
Looks like we may have a good season series against the Canes.

We seem to be jinxed in Mellon arena:
2005/2006-Orpik drills Cole in the boards, breaks neck. We still boo Orpik every time he touches the puck here in Raleigh.
2006/2007-Colby Armstrong absolutely levels (clean hit) Letowski, out cold, concussion, left on stretcher.
2007/2008-Walker collapses on ice, still unknown why at this time. Pens go on to score 2 goals in under 3 minutes, turns the game around. I think the guys were a bit shook up seeing Walker leave the ice like he did.

When's the new arena going to be completed?

ivyleager said:
Marillion Fan said:
Ok Ivy we are 1 & 1 on the season.
Although we looked bad for the 1st half of the game I thought we took over after it went to 3-1.
Looks like we may have a good season series against the Canes.

We seem to be jinxed in Mellon arena:
2005/2006-Orpik drills Cole in the boards, breaks neck. We still boo Orpik every time he touches the puck here in Raleigh.
2006/2007-Colby Armstrong absolutely levels (clean hit) Letowski, out cold, concussion, left on stretcher.
2007/2008-Walker collapses on ice, still unknown why at this time. Pens go on to score 2 goals in under 3 minutes, turns the game around. I think the guys were a bit shook up seeing Walker leave the ice like he did.

When's the new arena going to be completed?

If things go well I believe they are saying it should be ready for 09/10 season.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Great Banner, but.....

FLORIDA PANTHERS 4 - CAROLINA HURRICANES 2

:party:

First two periods were catatonic. :sleep: Awesome last period though. :whoot:

My cousin came up with Club Suite tickets yesterday. Got the exclusive Lexus Parking Lot right in front of the arena. Didn't have to pass out candy, get dressed ghetto like my wife wanted me to, or scare the Crud out of any kids.

Life is good!
:rockon:

Poolsean said:
ok... next game is on the 12th.

Nov 12 results:
CAROLINA HURRICANES 4 FLORIDA PANTHERS 3
:party:

Turning out to be a nice rivalry. Eric is okay, probably won't play until cleared by medical team here in Raleigh, though.

I'm thinking Vokuon will be permanently affixed to the front of the net next game, and electrocuted next time he leaves the net early. That Stillman goal was ugly!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.