Need New Pump

Cap

Apr 13, 2007
Longview, Texas
Looking for advice for a new motor/pump.

My current setup is a 20k inground with a 1hp 220v stay rite pump. My filter is a heyward sand filter (300 pounds of media). My suction and discharge lines are 1.5". I have one main drain and one skimmer. I have 3 return jets. My setup is very basic, as this is an older pool. I do not have any "water features" or solar panels.

Should I go with a single speed 1hp replacement or would a 3/4hp be adequate? Or should I move up to a 1.5hp? I have read about how the 2 speed pumps can save electricity, is this something I should consider? I live in Texas and I think my electricity is about .10 kwh. If it makes sense to go with a 2 speed what size hp would be optimal?

I appreciate any help/adice that you could give me as I am kind of lost on what would be best for my setup. Thanks.

my situation was similar albeit smaller size pool and after having tested (...and ran over the years multiple single speed pumps in various pools...) the latest and greatest, went with IntelliFlow VF. the best feature is the total silence and I can run pump 24 hours/day and use less power than my old pump which ran 4 hours/day.

A two speed pump will save electricity and in the long run it will save money. A variable speed pump will save even more electricity, but not enough to ever pay back the initial investment (given your electric rates).

Unless you have some problem with low flow rates using the old pump, you definitely don't want a larger pump. Even a fairly large pool is just fine with a full rated 3/4 HP pump.

Depending on what is wrong with your old pump, you may just need a new motor, and not an entire pump. Replacing just the motor is less expensive and about the same difficulty as replacing the entire pump. If you go that route, you want to find a two speed motor that matches the specs of your current motor when it is on high speed.

Thanks for all the replies. I figured that given my situation a varible speed pump would be overkill. I am intrigued by the 2 speed pump idea.

I'm going to do a little shopping and see what I can find. I'll probably have more questions later. Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.