Electric question

Big L

Jan 11, 2011
I am in Missouri and having a inground installed.I was told by the PB that I would have to supply elec to the site of the pool.I was wondering since it will be underground in conduit do I have to buy the underground wire,or can I just buy the regular romex or single strand and put it in conduit.I am going 100 ft and figured I would go with a #8 wire in case I would like to add some stuff in the future

I'm not an electrician, but I'm 98% sure that you can't use regular romex. You need to buy the individual strands or the underground cable. Make sure for the distance, your guage is big enough. Every underground feed that I've ever had run, they used individual strands. That seems to be more standard than using the underground cable. You have to run 4 wires also.

Use THHN/THWN wire. Run 4 wires, black, red, white, and green. Romex isnt rated for a wet location plus the ground wire has to be insulated. The ground in romex is bare. Wire size will depend on how much current you want out by the pool and the distance you need to run it.

With the typical equipment requirements I think you'll need more than 40 amps. 60 or 100 would be more like it. With 60 amp service you'll need a #4 ga wire. If you under size it you'll always regret it, if you over size it you never will.

Single conductors in conduit is the proper way to go.

Ditto on stranded. As for the pipe, I can't see that being a particularly tough pull, but 1 inch will limit your ability to pull anything else. Some wire-pulling compound will make slick work of pulling the wires.

You can run four #4 wires in a 1 inch conduit and still maintain a 40% fill, but that's full capacity. If you want to stuff in a couple of #10's as well, you'd need to go 1-1/2. At least w/ PVC conduit.

I am from wash state, I am a farmer. That being said, I went to my local irrigation store and bought wire that was already in conduit. They use it for Irrigation equipment and such. its comes on a real big spool.. It really made it allot easier for me.. trench it and drop it in.. it does cost a bit more but well worth it...

Watch your sweep quantity as well. No more than 4 sweeps in a run or you won't be able to pull it (plus, IIRC, code does not allow for more than a 360 "loop" in any electrical run).

Good info,thanks.My PB said to run 10-3 on a 30 amp and I figured I would go to 8-3 on a 30 amp to be safe.I will buy the 4 singles like ya said.Does 8-3 only have 3 wires in it.I do not mess with electric very green on the subject.I will only have the pump,led light in pool and maybe a radio running.Do you think this will work.Its a 100 ft run.Thanks

Respectfully, all the advice you got on this thread it seems you're going to listen to your PB who isn't really giving you good advice. As Ohm_Boy indicated, run 4 #4 wires in a 1" conduit to be safe. You'll never regret the extra cost. You'll want to add some lights or some features in the future and you'll never have to run any more from your house. If you go with what your PB indicates, you'll regret it! I ran a 60 amp service out for a hot tub 4 years ago and thought that would be sufficient for my new pool house which was in the same vicinity and I had to get rid of that and run the same run over again by digging all of it out and running a 100 amp service to my pool house. Just a lot of extra work and added irritation.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Big L said:
Good info,thanks.My PB said to run 10-3 on a 30 amp and I figured I would go to 8-3 on a 30 amp to be safe.I will buy the 4 singles like ya said.Does 8-3 only have 3 wires in it.I do not mess with electric very green on the subject.I will only have the pump,led light in pool and maybe a radio running.Do you think this will work.Its a 100 ft run.Thanks

I'd suggest you hire a professional. There are far too many issues in code compliance and safety that you aren't considering. GFCIs, continuous grounds from the panel for the lighting circuit etc.. Read NEC 680.26. If you don't understand what it says, reconsider doing it yourself.

Sorry for the miscommunication,my last post was my original plan,pricing materials that have been suggested is what Im doin now.I am just getting the wire to the panel inside and stubbing it out where the pump will be,not making any connections myself.Thanks again

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.