Good Starting Point for Filtering Schedule

ncpool

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 31, 2010
I have a two speed pump, and a timer that is wired to control both the low and high speed separately.

That said, i am not really sure of a good starting point for a filtering schedule. For example, should i run noon-4 pm on high speed, and then midnight to 8 am on low? I really have no idea what to start off with. Any guidance appreciated.

You could run it on low all the time, high speed isn't necessary during the day, you'll save alot running it on low even if you run it for more hours than you would if you did the combo of high/low. I only use high speed if I'm vacuming or in a hurry to increase the turnover of water for example, when adding a chemical or something.

12 hours would be a good starting point. If you see clarity issues or algae spots, you could increase the run time. If you see no issues, you could try cutting back even, during your night time run if you want. You might find you can get by with as few as 6-8 hours - every pool is unique you just have to figure out your ideal run time by trial and error, KWIM? :)

There is no overriding reason to run the pump at any specific time. There are however many minor reasons.

The first question is: Do you have time of day electric pricing? If you do, then you want to run the pump when electricity is less expensive. The second question is: Is there some time of day when you are often around the pool, and if so, do you have a personal preference that the pump be running at that time? Some people like the pump running when they are swimming, others like the pump running to power water features.

If neither of those apply, it is best to divide your pump run time into two three or four blocks of time spread across the entire 24 hours. Your timer may or may not be capable of having lots of different run times.

The final question is: Do your skimmers (and SWG if you have one) work well when the pump is on low. If not, you will want periods when the pump is on high. If the skimmers (and SWG) work, you will want all of the pump run time on low speed.

There is an article in Pool School on figuring out how long to run your pump each day.

I agree with frustratedpoolmom. Running the pump most of a day is not necessary. Your water will tell you if you need to run it longer, also if you see no issues you could cut it back and still be fine. Just have to test and keep an eye on it.

For our pool, I use low speed and during most of the summer run it from 10am to about 6pm. Sometimes later if we are swimming. In Deep summer I go from 9am to 9pm since we are typically swimming every day at that time. During winter I change the timing to run it from 11pm to 6am. With freezes etc, the system automatically turns on our pool and water features and this is usually overnight, so I get a twofer on cold nights. Freeze protection and filtering. The only time I use high speed is to add chemicals.

Great advice everyone, thanks a lot.

I will read the pool school article. I do have the ability to run either high or low about three blocks each day. I have an intermatic two timer box (one wired to low, one to high), and bought a few extra set of timer dogs (i think that's what they're called?).

So after taking everyone's advice into consideration, i tried to figure a good schedule for my pool. I have the Pentair WhisperFlo WFDS-4 w/Curve Keys B&G (WhisperFlo Perf Curve).

I figured 80 GPM High / 40 Low based on ~60 ft/head (Note 60 is a guess, but my pump is very close to my pool).

At 20-22k gals, that is about 4.25 hrs high / 8 hrs low for one turnover.

Also taking into consideration Jason's advice regarding skimmer performance on low, i set up one block midday to run on high, since i have several trees around my pool and i am using a poolskim. Here is the schedule i came up with:

7 am - 9 am low
2 pm - 3 pm high
7 pm - 9 pm low
1 am - 3 am low

So couple questions:
-Is my math on the turnover duration completely off?
-Is it better for me to consolidate some of these blocks, ie better to run four hours continuous than two hours in an isolated block?
-Is there anything else i should be taking into consideration?

Thanks all.

The only reason to run it longer than two hours is if that's not quite enough time to send everything by the skimmer to get sucked in. I run our pool in 2-two hour segments and 1-four hour segment. every pool is different and it's something you'll have to figure out.

Thanks Bama. I realize i will have to tweak this out in use, just really looking for a suitable pilot schedule to start with.

Any feedback on my math related to flow rates, and determining full turnover times? Just curious how badly i hacked the math...

If you run 80 gpm for 60 min that's 4800 gallons.
Then if you run 40 gpm for 360 minutes that's 14,400 gallons.
And if you run that in the same day that makes 19,200 gallons that you've ran through your pump in one 24 hour period.
Sounds close enough to one turnover to me. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.