Constant depth pool?

F500

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 11, 2007
Madisonville, LA
My wife and I are in the process of designing our pool and are considering a constant depth of about 4'6". Our kids are gone and we don't want a diving board. We just want to float and relax. I would think this would lower the cost of the pool. I know from experience that a big aquarium is easier to maintain than a small one. Does this hold true in the pool world?

Depends by bigger do you mean deeper (more gallons bigger) or size sqft 20x40 compared to 15x30.
If deeper, having a pool 4.5 ft deep all around is not much more maintenance if you went with 2/3rds of the pool 4.5ft and sloped to 6.6 ft.
In a 20x40 pool (considered pretty large for a home pool)that would roughly be 27,000gls versus 29,500gals. Scrubbing the walls in the deep end might add 10% more effort
But using the big aquarium, small aquarium analogy a 15x30 pool at 4.5ft is 15,220 gals vs a 20x40 4.5ft 27,000 gals. This is a huge difference in maintenance and effort about 33-40% more effort (just a guess).

If you are going with a vinyl lined pool I don't think its going to save you that much on initial costs, just maybe a little in materials and a little more digging involved. As for gunite, I am not sure. You might want to consider that even though you don't have kids, you won't be able to dive in the pool at all. I myself couldn't imagine not being able to take a nice dive off the diving rock into the pool. If you are going to float around anyways it really doesn't matter how deep it is does it? And remember that you will always have to remind guests that there is no deep end, which is minor I guess. The positives are that you can play water volleyball without having to tread water and it won't take long to heat your pool which is a cost savings.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.