Hayward EcoStar vs. Pentair IntelliFlo VS - Pro & Cons?

Hello,

I have a question about whether or not the Hayward EcoStar pump makes a difference on a heated solar-water system for a pool. I just bought a house with a system already instilled and its a good system with all Hayward equipment as far as pumps go. It also has solar panels on the roof to heat the pool. I was looking at buying these new pumps because of the money they claim to save you. But my pool guy says that it would only help out with savings during the winter time but not during the summer time. Because the EcoStar pump would have to run at that maximum speed during the summer months just to get the water pumped up through the pipes to be heated on the roof. I have a two-story house so I can kind of see what he means

Has anyone used this pumps on a solar-heated pool system before? And does it save you money during the summer time?

Welcome to the forum.

Your pool guy is partially correct. When you have solar panels on a roof, the pump speed needs to be a higher than it would be without solar to keep the flow rate and pressure up. However, you will still probably save some money with a VS because you can fine tune the speed to be just enough to keep the solar system happy but low enough to save you some energy as well. It is just that you won't save as much energy as you would without solar. But overall it is probably a money saver although depending on what you pay for electricity, it may or may not pay for itself over the life of the pump.

What do you pay for electricity?

A cheaper alternative would be to just swap out the motor of your current pump with a two speed and run on low speed when solar is not being used.

I have been looking at pool pumps online for it seems like a million hours. I will preface this as I am a female and know nothing much about pool pumps so be kind. I have it narrowed down to the Pentair Intelliflo vs or the Hayward Ecostar.

I am leaning towards the Intelliflo. I only have a 15x30 rectangular pool about 17.000 gallons. No waterfalls or spa features. I have one of those baracuda suction vacs. I bought one of the robotic vacs last year and it only ran for a couple minutes and stopped and I returned it.

I am not sure if it is because I needed a bigger pump and it didn't have enough flow or what. While looking online I see a lot of the VS pumps don't have the hp listed and then I see some listed at 3 hp. I wanted a 1.5, but it doesn't appear they make them?

I have several questions: Do they make 1 hp Pentair Intelliflos and do you recommend that over the Hayward Ecostar?
Does the 1.5 only come in a single speed?
Is the 1 hp the proper size for my pool?
Is it higher in cost if I get the 3 hp and just program it lower to run as if it were a 1 hp because I saw one online for under $890.

I am thinking changing over to the Pentair Clean and Clear cc150 cartridge filter, but I also see a Pentair Clean and Clear ccRP150. I don't see the difference except the CCRP has a port 2/3rds way up the filter and is like $15 more. Is one better than the other?

And, finally, if I can find a pool pump for under $900 online why do they want like $1500 to install it. My husband is an electrician. Do you recommend buying it online and then just trying to find a company to install the two things because it is too difficult for ordinary folks to do?

We have replaced our pump for the house a couple times without plumbers. Or should we pay the big bucks to have it installed because it is difficult? Thanks for any help you can give.

Hi FLtraveler,
Since the last post is almost 3 months old, I'm sure you've had your questions answered, but in case others are curious - I figured I throw up the answers for them. For something lower powered, Pentair makes a SuperFlo variable speed which is rated for 1.5hp..and to compare apples to apples, this is equivalent to Hayward's TriStar. In terms of buying it online and self-install vs professionally install, I was leaning towards the first option until I discovered with Pentair, self-installs will only provide a 6 month warranty while if you have it professionally installed, it'll be 3 years with the Intellflo. The SuperFlo only carries a 1 year warranty if professionally installed. Hope this helps somebody.

Thanks,
David

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.