Pentair Intelliflo Worth Extra Money In Cincinnati, Ohio?

briansturgeon

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 22, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
I live near Cincinnati Ohio so our pool season is roughly only 3-3.5 months. We are getting ready to start on our 20x40 inground pool. Roughly 33K gallons. The builder wants to put in a 1hp pump. I have asked him about the newer variable speed pumps and he says it isn't worth the extra $800 or so dollars in our climate because of the short swim season.

My pump will be about level with the pool and roughly 20 ft away. He is using 1.5" flexible PVC Sch 40 for the lines. Sorry but I don't have all kinds of specs like head and stuff. I'm new to all of this. I just want to make sure I spend a little extra up front on the things that will make the pool more efficient to operate if there are some things. I figured a no-brainer was the pump from what I have read but now I'm not so sure. I even called Pentair and one of the techs said the builder is probably right because we will be winterizing the pool and such.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

A two speed pump will save you about 33% off your electric bill, while a variable speed can save you around 50%. A two speed is usually about $150 extra, while variable speed pumps start around $450 extra.

Getting a variable speed pump in your situation probably isn't worth it. If, as I imagine, your electric rate is around 8 to 15 cents per kwh, your best choice from a total cost point of view will be to get a two speed pump. Variable speed pumps are usually only worth it if you also have a spa or a water feature that runs off the same pump, or your electric rates are more like 20 cents per kwh or higher.

in addition to the money value in the terminology (word: worth), there are other terms that define value such as noise abatement, durability, flexibility over programming and more.

while I personally enjoy the reduction in power and resultant FPL utility bills, the biggest enjoyment is having my own caterpillar drive

You are right. My rate is 8-9 cents per KWH. He said it would be $700 to upgrade to VS. Is 1 HP to high. What specific pump would you recommend? Plumbing will be 1.5" pvc flex.

He has built some nice pools for friends but he is a little old school and just want to make sure I know what is going on and have more knowledge about everything since this will be our first pool.

thanks

I'll agree with Jason on the pump. Variable speed 1hp is likely the way to go, but of note is the suggested plumbing :scratch:.

On a side note, I'd encourage you to upgrade to 2" rigid pvc as 2" will allow for better flow than 1.5" and flex PVC is prone to termite damage and has been known to wrinkle/kink/colapse under ground. Builders like using it because although it is more expensive than rigid, it allows them to lay it much quicker and less fittings than properly done rigid PVC.

Thanks for everyone's help.

FWIW I had 5 pb's come out and give me prices and all of them quoted 1.5" flexible pvc. Do you think I should still request they use rigid Sch 40? I would hate to force them to do that and then have a problem because they aren't used to using it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
JasonLion said:
Take a look at the Pentair WhisperFlo WFDS-3 115 volt 3/4 HP and WFDS-4 230 volt 1 HP two speed energy efficient models.

+1 the WFDS-3 or WFDS-24 will be your most efficient option.

Why the Whisperflo over the Superflo 2 speed energy efficient? Just looking online I saw the Superflo 2 speed EE 1 HP pump for around $420 and the WFDS-3 WhisperFlo Full-Rated Energy Efficient Dual Speed 3/4HP In-Ground Pool Pump for around $200 more. Is it worth the extra 200 bucks and why?

What size do you think for a 20x40 with 8' deep end? Basic setup with no spa or extra water features.

Also, should I upgrade the sand filter to a Quad DE? If so, what size would be best?

Thanks for all the advice.

Larger filters are always better. DE vs sand is more of a personal preference question. Both have advantages and disadvantages.

The WhisperFlo is significantly more efficient than the SuperFlo, it will move more water using the same amount of power. The extra up front costs will pay back in saved electricity over time. With no water features, the 3/4 HP full rated WhisperFlo should be just fine, even on a larger pool. The most common mistake people make with pumps is to get something that is too large and wastes electricity.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.