IC20 problem help PLease

Feb 21, 2011
My IC 20 unit did not have any lights on it when I checked it. Ultimately the fuse was blown. Replaced the fuse and blew again. Replaced the fuse again and now I have no lights coming on. The fuse is not blowing, but the lights are still not coming on. The green light inside the power center is coming on.

I have had the unit for a little over 3 years now. It runs every night for 10 hrs. Well, it used to run. Any ideas as to what I can do. Is it just at the end of its life?

Need help please!!

MIke M

Welcome to TFP!

That sounds like damage caused by a lightning strike nearby, though it could be several other kinds of electronics failures. However, that is not what I would expect to see from a unit at the end of it's life. You will probably need to replace the whole cell.

I would start by using a voltmeter to check the pinouts at the power center's port and also at the other end of the black lead that goes to the cell. Could be as simple as the wire having broken. I am sure someone can chime in as to what the expected voltage whether AC/DC should be.

I believe the very design of the Intellichlors is so that you don't find yourself having "to replace the entire unit". Either your power center is dead, OR the black lead, OR the cell....hardly all three at the same time.

Hope this helps.

I am having a similar issue. Though, with mine the fuse blows every time I replace it.

Called Customer Service at Pentair, and she stated the cell is bad and that I need to replace it (no trouble shooting steps). I would assume (being new to this pool - just bought the house a few months ago - pool is 4 years old) that the fuse blowing would indicate a short. Checked all connections and they appear good. Not knowing proper voltage on each terminal, etc... Took the cell off and cleaned interior with acid, and suspected there was something in contact with the cells but they actually look fairly clean especially compared to all the calcium I had built up around the edges of the pool. The fuse is not blowing when the cell is not plugged into the power center.

I am sure there is no fix, except to replace the IC20 ($500+), but can anyone direct my novice efforts to keep something like this from happening again... Like a procedures checklist for intellichlor systems for pool owners? I checked the owners manual online, and there is great info in there, but I have since found dummy tubes to use when your chlorinator is not needed (winter, cold weather, season start-up etc.) Is this truly needed? Also, the pool boys (prior to purchase) were using chlorine tabs to keep the pool chlorinated, did (could of) this have an effect on the chlorinator and it's life?

I know I hit on a lot, and appreciate any responses... trouble shooting tips.

B.A'

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.