FC - 9
CC - 1
TC - 10
pH - 7.2
TA - 140/150
CH - 650!
CYA - Way over 100...
Temp - 58

I started by replacing a lot of the water, but it seems it was not enough to get the CYA under control, so tomorrow I will almost empty the pool to try and get the CYA back to around 30/40. My concern is the CH, it's around 650 and the water here from the city is horribly hard. How can I get that back under control?

Thomas

It's a plaster pool, and it should be fine. We've had to drain it once or twice before when we renovated the pool area. The part that has me really worried is I did a 1/2 replacement today and the CH is still 650, is there an easy way to lower that?

Given that the fill water is high in CH. If you're located in a part of the country where R/O (reverse osmosis) is available that may actually be a better alternative to draining. Even with draining and refilling you're still going to start off with water that's high in CH.

when I filled up my last 2 times, I rented large tanks (their appearance are similar to large acetylene welding tanks or large scuba tanks) that contain a special filtering material. the municipal water was sent via the tanks into pool and came out absolutely mineral free. all local pool builders recommend this service

the cost of the rental over the weekend of filling up was 100, which I considered quite reasonable as it gave me assurance that I had no issues upon startup. the only thing I did was liquid bleach and slowly adjusting pH for the first couple weeks, followed by alkalinity and cyanuric acid. the CYA was not in range until 2 months later (50-60 ppm) which was fine.

Not sure where I would find someone to reverse osmosis the pool. I did about 70% drain and I'm now @:
FC - 1
TC - 1
pH - 7.2
TA -140
CH - 450
CYA - 100
Temp - 68

I've still got about 2k gallons left to fill but I think other then the CH being high I'm going to be alright. Plan on using liquid chlorine going forward so I never get that high of a CYA ever again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey Thomas...not sure if I missed it, but how are you testing CYA? TF100 or Tayl K2006? If so, have you tried diluting the sample with 50% tap water? than will give you a ballpark of where your CYA level is, unless it's still over 200 :shock: ?

Also, you should test the CH on your fill water. If your fill water is high in CH, you'll only be solving the CYA issue.

dman - I'm using the TF100 kit that I ordered from here :) It doesn't mention anything around tap water.
Paulr - Thanks ;-) I guess I should have been more specific in my comment. "Does anyone recommend any companies around Austin that does RO?" :-D

kix1979 said:
dman - I'm using the TF100 kit that I ordered from here :) It doesn't mention anything around tap water.

Wow...the best test kit ever!

Sorry I should have been more specific. When CYA is over 100, you can can still measure levels over 100ppm by diluting your pool water sample with regular old tap water. Simply use equal amounts of pool water and tap water to create a diluted sample, then carry out the CYA test using R-0013 as you would normaly and multiply your result by 2. Said differently, instead of pouring a 50/50 mixture of pool water and R-0013 in the view tube you would add a mix of 25% pool water, 25% tap water and 50% R-0013, then multply the test result by 2.

The fact that you drained 70% of your water, yet CYA is still over 100 would mean your starting CYA was at least over 200. It would be nice to know how much more you have to go :goodjob:

kix1979 said:
Paulr - Thanks ;-) I guess I should have been more specific in my comment. "Does anyone recommend any companies around Austin that does RO?" :-D

Looks like a start up opportunity! :party:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.