Tiered Spa Spill Over - Construction Questions

ccp

Nov 7, 2010
I am building a tiered spa spill over that will allow the water to spill over from the spa into the pool.
It is about 9 ft in width and the spa is raised 18" above the pool. It will have a steep slope of about 60 degrees.
I was thinking of cutting some flagstone in thin strips and stacking it or using some uniform looking ledgestone on it.
Does anyone have any thoughts on what material might be best to use and any construction tips?

I will for sure use a hard natural stone.

Thanks.

Hey CCP - welcome to TFP!

I'm by no means a vet, but I have learned a ton from this site and I'm happy to give back when I can.
You should definitely take the time to complete your profile with all of your pool info - it will allow the experts to
quickly help you.

We did a raised spa (about 18") with a about a 4-5' wide spill. I'd guess our angle is 60 degees or maybe a little steeper.

The spa was done in a dry stack fashion using dark colored Oklahoma. If you are not familiar with dry stack, it's where they only mortar the back half of the stone to give it a simpler stacked look. The stone has to be chopped correctly and although I've done stone floors, I'm pretty sure my skill level is not up to dry stack.

I've included some pictures below.

A couple of things to point out
1) I love the round barrel look of our spa, but it is too small. Ovals or horseshoe shaped spas work better.
2) I cannot control the amount of water going over the spillway, and the pump running on full blast doesn't give me the
gentle cascade - it's more of a gushing spillover. There are ways to plumb it so that you can vary the spillover rate - make sure you drive this point home with your pool builder.

714-Day51b.jpg

715-Day52c.jpg

718-Day55b.jpg

718-Day55c.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.