Confused about "closing" AGV pool for the winter

TizMe

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 26, 2007
Covington, Georgia
Since we have decided to "close" our pool this winter by just covering it with our solar cover and using the leaf net we bought I have some questions:

1) How will this way of closing the pool affect the "shock and algae" treatment. Will we need to recheck our chlorine or even add some during the winter?

2)Will we be smart to run the pump a few hours during the night maybe 2-4 hours/7 days a week during the coldest months because it does go below freezing sometimes here. Since we are running the pump will this have any affect on the chlorine we put in to shock it for the winter or better yet how will it affect the algicide we added to prevent algae growth?

I think thats all the questions I have ...

I believe you could approach it simply by maintaining the pool much the same way as if it were open.

Run the pump from time to time....circulation is always good.

ALWAYS run the pump when you suspect night time temps might feeze your pipes.

Add a little chlorine when it drops to zero. You won't need much when the water gets cold.

As we discussed before, dump that leaf net before you get a big load....you'll be happy you did and sad if you don't! :lol: :lol:

Ok, were going to give it a shot !

Since we are switching to the BBB method and we have an auto chlorinator and wont be using it can we actually take it off the line and not use it or should we just keep it turnd off with the chlorine tube empty? Not sure how to approach that ...

can we actually take it off the line and not use it or should we just keep it turnd off with the chlorine tube empty
If you mean disconnect it from the system, that'll work. If it's not easy to disconnect, I think your best bet is empty but with water circulating thru it.

Take my opinion for what it's worth.........I don't have one so others may have a much better idea.

duraleigh said:
can we actually take it off the line and not use it or should we just keep it turnd off with the chlorine tube empty
If you mean disconnect it from the system, that'll work. If it's not easy to disconnect, I think your best bet is empty but with water circulating thru it.

Take my opinion for what it's worth.........I don't have one so others may have a much better idea.

if you kept it dry all the colorine resadue would cause clorine gas and the next time you open it, it will hit you like tear gas. also i think where you remove it you would have to plug the lines or when the pump runs with out it the water will squirt out.

Well, you've got me interested now. I wouldn't cut it loose....they're handy for vacations, etc. Could you leave it online and put a tennis ball in it for expansion in case it froze?

TizMe said:
Dave, To actually remove it I would have to cut if off the line and insert some pvc pipe to replace it. I am pretty niffty with my hands and tools just not sure which is best to do :?:

i think your best bet is to just leave it connected and let water run through it, that way if you ever need it for some reason, you have it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
TizMe said:
I will steal a tennis ball from one of the dogs and see how that works... wish me luck getting a ball from the dogs !

my dog is obsessed with tennis balls, if i take one from him to use it for somthing, and he sees me do it. lets say i take it and put it in the fridge, if he saw me do it, he will stay there and wait for it. only leave to eat or drink, but will always stay there, but i give it back so he gets a life again .

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.