Confused: I've been advised...

ma3875

Jan 17, 2011
I'm in the process of renovating my in ground 20x40 concrete pool. It was built in 1971 and has two skimmers, however one was disconnected years ago and the pool has been operating fine on one (closest to house middle of pool). It seems to collect most of the surface debris with no problem. I don't get a lot of stuff in my pool, but I still have to clean the skimmer once a day in the spring and fall. In the summer, I clean it once every couple days.

Here is my dilemma: One company suggests to put in only one skimmer, as the second one is overkill, and since my pool has been running fine with one, why spend the extra $$$. The other company suggests to put both skimmers in since the pool was designed to have two. The extra skimmer will cost me about $2500 after parts, new lines, taxes, etc (that's the price around here). I trust both companies.

Question: Is the extra $2500 worth it?

Attachments

• P1040208.jpeg
    P1040208.jpeg
    104.7 KB · Views: 489
  • P1040204.jpeg
    P1040204.jpeg
    107.7 KB · Views: 489
  • P1040209.jpeg
    P1040209.jpeg
    131 KB · Views: 489
Is the one visible in the last pic the working one (center of long side)? That is where we retrofitted a skimmer onto our 1946 20'x40' steel pool in the 1960's. It worked great with just the one for another 40 years. Major advantage would be splitting the crud between two baskets, IMHO. Is that worth $2500?

Ya Durk! Thats the current operating skimmer. It's not exactly center, more like 40/60 on the long side of the pool, but close enough. I've been reading that having more than one skimmer can cause "dead spots"

Does yours have any dead spots with one skimmer?

Welcome to TFP!!

For $2500, I'd be willing to save that money and spend a little extra time with the skimmer net and vacuum :mrgreen:

However, in your other post you said that you were replacing the deck and tapping into the other skimmer wouldn't cost anywhere near $2500 :? Even if the other skimmer has a shot body, 2.5K sounds awfully expensive to replace and replumb it. Maybe I'm missing something important.

waste said:
Welcome to TFP!!

For $2500, I'd be willing to save that money and spend a little extra time with the skimmer net and vacuum :mrgreen:

However, in your other post you said that you were replacing the deck and tapping into the other skimmer wouldn't cost anywhere near $2500 :? Even if the other skimmer has a shot body, 2.5K sounds awfully expensive to replace and replumb it. Maybe I'm missing something important.

hehe... I think i only broke out the skimmer net once in the last two years! THANK GOD!

Ya, I'm replacing the deck with pavers! The one skimmer, in the corner of the pool, is currently disconnected. It was connected in series when it was built, but due to a leak it was disconnected. I have no idea how efficient it is when its working. I only know the current efficency with the centre skimmer. Its pretty much center along the 40ft (its actually 36ft) and uses the new pipe i layed down two years ago. Both installers would rather put the skimmers on separate lines to ensure equal suction if I go with two skimmers.

The cost $2500 basically breaks down to the parts, labour, trenching about 45 ft to the filter, replacing the piping, and tax etc. Yes it is expensive, but prices up here in Canada are a lot higher :)

If i choose to only go with one skimmer, I have to fill the hole of the unused skimmer and re-tile.

Whatcha think?

Whatcha think?

I think I should have kept going north once I hit Maine :lol:

How much will they charge you to permanently seal and retile over the other skimmer? Please takr that into account when deciding on this.

I'd bet that the majority of that price is the labor (labour :p ) for the trench and if you dig the trench for them, the price would come down dramatically :-D You could also do any other trenching yourself and save even more $$. Pool dudes know that times are hard and will often subtract some $ if you do certain things yourself - it's well worth looking into :cheers:

ma3875 said:
Ya Durk! Thats the current operating skimmer. It's not exactly center, more like 40/60 on the long side of the pool, but close enough. I've been reading that having more than one skimmer can cause "dead spots"

Does yours have any dead spots with one skimmer?

Never any dead spots on the old pool. That pool was built with 4 returns, one in each corner, and that seemed to move everything around pretty well. My new pool has two skimmers and I have more of a problem in one corner on this one, probably due to the fact that all the returns are at the other end.

The renovations are finished!! We decided on going with one skimmer and 3 returns. With the upgraded return lines, the water pressure moves the surface debris very efficiently. No dead spots.

Thanks for all your help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was about to add I have a 44,000 gallon pool with the skimmer in almost the worst spot it could be, and my pool is clean. During the spring I have to net a ton of stuff off the surface (my pool is so old I can't use any return side stuff to clean) but other than that, it works. If the skimmer were in the proper spot, it would cut my work by 90%, but even then it's not bad.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.