WHERE is my water going???

Feb 25, 2010
I have a 25x15 AGP in eastern PA. Every winter, I put a 15x4 air pillow secured in the center, put the cover over it (draped loosely over the pillow, laying on the water before going over the pool side). Each year before closing I drain it about 6-8" so it's just below the skimmer level. Both skimmer and return line port are sealed off.

Each year around early February (imagine that, NOW) my water level mysteriously drops about 2ft and I end up having to put a garden hose in and raising it back up so the cover with snow and ice isn't hanging so low on the water level it's pulling hard on the side walls. WHERE IS MY WATER GOING?? It's been frozen for well over a month, so I don't think snow and ice pressure is pushing it out. It doesn't happen before late January of each year, and I do not have any leaks throughout the summer, I only add water a couple times a summer as it gets a little low on the skimmer.

Any ideas what is going on?? I can't believe the weight of the ice/snow is doing it, I am so confused.

One cubic foot of snow can easily weigh 15 lbs. If you've gotten call it 2 feet of snow total.....that's around 30 lbs. of weight per square foot on your pool cover. And that doesn't even allow for your ice storms and rain. 2/3 of your square footage is 250 sq. ft. x 30 lbs.= 7,500 lbs. That's some tonnage old buddy!

True but I never once have notice the outside water level close to the top edge of the pool, where the heck is it pushing out at?? I guess there is really not much I can do about this...

What does everyone think about putting the air cushion in the middle and pulling the winter cover TIGHT over it and down off the side of the pool, that way water runs off, snow (slides) or I can go around with a broom and push it right off, doesn't lay on top of the water inside the pool? Any suggestions?

Since you say it only happens in Feb. Maybe it's Punxsutawney Phil bringing all his ground hog buddies by taking a dip and splashing out the water. :mrgreen:

Seriously if you're sure it's not a leak, then it has to be displacement.

Sounds like a leak to me although the same happened to me last season...we lost about 12" as I did not seal off the return or skimmer. Are you sure the seals are not leaking? How did you close the skimmer? Aquador or Gizmo?

Pulling the cover tight works for some, but is not advised as it usually voids the cover warranty and can cause damage to the sidewalls should you still experience water loss, hence losing support of the wall. You would have to use alot of pillows :shock: to get enough pitch in the "tent" for snow/ice to glide off.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'd agree with the leak theory... but I really do not lose anything noticeable throughout the summer. I might have to throw the hose in once a month for an inch or so that sun burnt off/people splashed out. Weird thing is for displacement the water level would have to be at the top around the edges at one point as it drained, why would it now drop down 2ft, it's not like I took any weight off the cover, you'd think the center would continue to push down and the ouside level would be up

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.