Pool Cove

I think I know the answer to this unfortunately. Last fall we put up our 33' round Strong Colosseum 54” pool. Love the pool nice resin rails top and bottom the bottom rails are 2.5” tall so they never let the dirt touch the steel walls. Now for my problem.

We used sand for our bottom and cove. It has kept water all winter but today I went out to check on how it did over the winter. I looked at the coves and on one side of the pool it appears the coves have disappeared on 4 or 5 sections about 2 feet long. I suspect that since it sits on very heavy clay soil so heavy and packed that the bobcat struggled to even take 1/4 in off. That runoff may have seeped under the bottom rail and pulled the sand out since the wash out is on one side only. Since it was installed I have place 2 inches of dirt around the bottom of the pool since the bottom rail is 4 inches tall on the outside of the pool. My questions are:

1. Do I need to drain the pool and fix the coves? THe liner is not sticking under the rails. (I'm thinking yes)
2. If I do what temperature should it be when I drain the pool. It is a overlap liner. I positive I can fix the pool coves and start filling it the same day. But I know it will take 3 days to fill it again.
:rant:

Depending on the cost of your water (big pool :shock: ) you may want to just replace the liner if you choose to drain. It can be done though. I'd hate to see all that water wasted though :roll: Does it really look like the liner is going to push out under the wall? Perhaps backfilling the pool with some gravel would help things :scratch:

Currently it does not appear that the liner is being pushed under the pool wall but it is close in a couple aof areas. I think the dirt I added around the outside of the pool may of helped I used the some of clay that was removed. I will add some gravel also. Just the coves are almost completely gone. I got a better look today and it affected most of the cove on one side of the pool. I will try to get some picture of around the pool area and cove but don't think it will display how bad the coves are gone. The liner is a overlap but of course the area that the coves washed out is by the return and skimmer side (Within 5 feet) . I woudl hate to replace the liner because we did not even get to use the pool because it was installed about a week before it got cold. To refill it would cost me about $100 for 29K gallons (Live in the country so water is cheap)in water and 3 days. Luckly would not lose any chemicals. We had bought the foam coves to prevent this but since the bottom rail is so tall and slightly angled we could not use them.

I am putting a deck up around the pool and by the uphill side of it this spring which should lower the amount of water flowing around it from the uphill side.

I just don't want to lose the pool had the old one collapes in a wind storm.

Gosh...sorry did not realize this was a new install...have you tried contacting the installer? Although even for them the answer would be the same as to having to re-do the work, but they should cover this for you as the clearly did not properly backfill or ensure proper drainage :rant:

:rant: Well, here is a lesson for everyone the contract for the pool installer states the warranty is good for 1 season. Which is basically 1 calender year. Starting in Jan and ending Dec. So they had to warranty me for 3 whole months. Looks like I will be repairing the coves myself. So here is what I need to know.

1. What temperature does it need to be for me to drain and fix the coves. I am sure that I can fix the coves and start refilling in 1 day. I don't plan on taking the whole liner off the wall just getting behind it enough to repair the coves.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.