my 12 yr old daughter wants me to open the pool now!!!

Feb 2, 2008
Northwest Indiana
She loves the pool so much and is in it every day. However, I had to explain to her that there is still 8 inches of snow on top of it and it is still frozen from top to bottom. In her eyes that crazy pool is the best thing I ever bought. I told her last night just about two more months and we would begin to open it but swimming is still three months away...

She replied "AAAAWWWWWWWWW!"

I have to say I am getting sort of itchy myself. I got cool new pool equipment for Christmas i am dying to use!

We have a new pool built this winter. We are all dying to get in it. Hopefully we can get in it a little sooner since we are down in Georgia. May be firing up the pool heater just to get a swim weekend soon. Temps need to warm up a bit. It was close to 70 today but the water is in the 50s.

Sent from my DROIDX

carlos31820 said:
cubbybeave08 said:
She would just to be on/in the pool. She loves it... :cheers:

And that's the reason why I wanted to get a pool. My girls can't wait either...

How old are they? Carlos, if they are anything like my daughter you will be a hero for years to come for getting the pool. My daughter can't wait to get in...and can't wait for me to get home to get in with her. I usually do, before dinner!

She's so much fun...even in the winter time I'll hear her call out MARCO...I'll yell back POLO. M

My son has a girl friend this year so I am sure his interest will renew in the pool as well. As long as he can behave himself. :mrgreen:

It's almost warm enough here in Albany, GA! The water was 61 today...the blue holes are only 65 on the Kinchafoonee and we HAPPILY jump into them in the height of summer! Of course, I believe the only summer as miserable as a SOWEGA summer was spent in Okinawa and it wasn't an entire loss! LOL!

I'm doing the spring time pool prep now...my first ever! Hence the reason I am here at TFP! :whoot:

JennaJarHead said:
It's almost warm enough here in Albany, GA! The water was 61 today...the blue holes are only 65 on the Kinchafoonee and we HAPPILY jump into them in the height of summer! Of course, I believe the only summer as miserable as a SOWEGA summer was spent in Okinawa and it wasn't an entire loss! LOL!

I'm doing the spring time pool prep now...my first ever! Hence the reason I am here at TFP! :whoot:

Go to Pool School and read up on opening a winterized pool...Take your time and you'll do fine. it's a piece of cake...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My 5 yr old has been bugging me for 2 months to get in the pool. Im in south texas so the winter was nice and mild. All I did was throw a solar cover on it for the winter. Every time she would put her hand in over the top, the water was always nice and warm. I kept having to explain to her that 6" down it would put her in to shock!
I just pulled the cover off and started vaccuming the burned sugar cane and dirt of the bottom. Water is still pretty much how I left it. I would add about 4 cups of bleach a month with no green to be seen. Just had one sprig of grass come throught the bottom.
So we will be swimming for her birthday in April.

We have 3 girls ages 4, 6, & 9 plus all of their friends. We installed our pool in Jan this year and they started getting in about 3 weeks ago. Today it was about 73 here and the water hit 66. We had 5 kids jumping in and out all afternoon. They were having a blast, playing with diving torpedos and all of the cool pool toys we've bought like it was already July. Of course it helps that we have a hot tub sitting about 6 feet away from the pool. They go back and forth between the two. Hot tub is set at 99-100. Talk about shocking your system. They love it though. Our 9 year old actually swam 20 laps today just to out do one of her friends. The wife & I still have not gotten in yet, but we did get a gigantic float that we can lounge on and we are enjoying that during these nice weather days. We are gald to see the kids having so much fun with it though. We are currently shopping solar covers online thinking that may add a couple of degrees and are also seriously considering a DIY install solar heating system.

kenandshari said:
We have 3 girls ages 4, 6, & 9 plus all of their friends. We installed our pool in Jan this year and they started getting in about 3 weeks ago. Today it was about 73 here and the water hit 66. We had 5 kids jumping in and out all afternoon. They were having a blast, playing with diving torpedos and all of the cool pool toys we've bought like it was already July. Of course it helps that we have a hot tub sitting about 6 feet away from the pool. They go back and forth between the two. Hot tub is set at 99-100. Talk about shocking your system. They love it though. Our 9 year old actually swam 20 laps today just to out do one of her friends. The wife & I still have not gotten in yet, but we did get a gigantic float that we can lounge on and we are enjoying that during these nice weather days. We are gald to see the kids having so much fun with it though. We are currently shopping solar covers online thinking that may add a couple of degrees and are also seriously considering a DIY install solar heating system.

Kenandshari...I have a fafco solar bear solar heater...and here in NW Indiana it keeps my pool well above 85 from may to September. I can only imgine what it would do for you as an add on. Best thing is that it is free heat. They run about 300 bucks for a 4X 20 foot panel and installs right into pump/filter return line. All you do is turn it on and the sun does the rest.

Yeah, we're currently shopping solar and considering DIY Fafco Sungrabber 12' panels. We'll probably use 7 of the 4' sections and plan to mount them on the back yard side roof (faces South and gets full sun all day). We added a mid grade clear solar cover and that took the water up to 73 over about 5 days of upper 70's to low 80's air temps. Currently we've been in the low 60's daytime highs and 40's for night time lows for 2 days. Water is 68 this evening with the cover on. About 2 more days of this weather then forecast for 80 again by the weekend. The cover definately works.

You sound pretty happy with the Fafco panels. Did you roof mount your panels?

kenandshari said:
Yeah, we're currently shopping solar and considering DIY Fafco Sungrabber 12' panels. We'll probably use 7 of the 4' sections and plan to mount them on the back yard side roof (faces South and gets full sun all day). We added a mid grade clear solar cover and that took the water up to 73 over about 5 days of upper 70's to low 80's air temps. Currently we've been in the low 60's daytime highs and 40's for night time lows for 2 days. Water is 68 this evening with the cover on. About 2 more days of this weather then forecast for 80 again by the weekend. The cover definately works.

You sound pretty happy with the Fafco panels. Did you roof mount your panels?

I don't have a roof closeby to mount them on. So I have built quick and simple ground mounts, but I am unhappy with their lack of stability...I am going to try to build something more permanent and stable this spring before opening the pool. this way when I open I can mount the heaters and get working on heating my water ASAP.

yes...I love my solar bear...it is the 4X20 foot...and last summer I got water up to 88 degrees. And that is with direct sun from 10 am to only about 4 pm. So yeah...they work... :party:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.