How often to adjust pH?

Aquatica

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 26, 2010
Nassau, Bahamas
Hi,

Is it fine to adjust pH once a week or is this something I should be doing more often? I have a salt water system and I read on here I need to keep my pH at 7.5-7.6 but everytime I test it is 8.0. I then drop it to 7.5 but I don't know how long it stays at 7.5 before it bounces back up to 8.0.

Aquatica said:
Hi,

Is it fine to adjust pH once a week or is this something I should be doing more often? I have a salt water system and I read on here I need to keep my pH at 7.5-7.6 but everytime I test it is 8.0. I then drop it to 7.5 but I don't know how long it stays at 7.5 before it bounces back up to 8.0.
I'd test it daily until I learned how fast it changes. Then adjust accordingly. Might be every day, might be every three - you'll never know unless you experiment.

Plug your numbers into Pool Calculator. See what the CSI is - you want to keep that in the safe zone, however often that means adding acid.

If you plug your numbers into Pool Calculator and something is way out of range, you can always post another thread for help with it. Be sure to select the finish and SWG down at the bottom.

Every pool is different, and a pool will change with time as well. Mine climbs about 0.2 per week, so I tweak it on Saturday or Sunday and don't worry about it for a week. Mine used to climb insanely fast like yours, and I checked it daily and usually adjusted it daily.

....or one could install an automatic system for about $200 and not have to breathe fumes or worry about adjustments.... Simpool pH in my sig (just another happy customer and they shipped in one week from Italy to USA)

1orime.gif

My pH climbs around 0.2 per month, but I have an electric mostly opaque safety cover so outgassing is minimal though the pool is used 1-2 days per week and longer on weekends. I use 12.5% chlorinating liquid added around twice a week and I check the pH every week or two and add acid around once a month or so as needed. Those pools with higher TA, lower pH, more aeration, and SWG systems tend to rise in pH more quickly.

susa said:
....or one could install an automatic system for about $200 and not have to breathe fumes or worry about adjustments.... Simpool pH in my sig (just another happy customer and they shipped in one week from Italy to USA)

1orime.gif

Certainly an option in way of automation, but we'd still advise regular manual testing of PH and other water chemistry parameters to ensure everything is working the way it should :goodjob:

The quick answer to the OP is to adjust it down everytime PH rises to 7.8 and above. If you experience frequent PH rise, lowering your TA to around the 60-80 range and possibly using borates could help counter the frequent rise in PH and make things a tad more stable.

Aquatica said:
Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

I guess I will test daily until it levels out. My TA is 80 and still seems to go up. :(
Lowering your TA might help. I lowered mine to 50 and it did slow the pH rise. If you do this you may have to adjust your CH a little higher to keep your CSI within range.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.