New Pool Owner

Jan 12, 2011
Bel Air, MD
I am a new pool owner and will need to start learning how to do things about the pool. Here are a couple of my questions.

1) Do I need to hire someone to do maintenance or is everything pretty simple to pick up?

2) Is opening a pool hard if I know nothing about pools? I am assuming it is.

3) Does anyone know any pool servicing companies around the Bel Air, MD Area?

Thank you for your help

:nopic:

First thing to do is start reading Pool School. Pay attention to the section on test kits - that's the key. And whether or not you hire someone, you'll still want a kit to keep tabs on him. And the Pool Store testing is not really free, they'll sell you buckets o'snake oil every time you show up, or at least try to. And they're notoriously inacccurate. But there's enough threads on that topic, so I'll stop there.

Pool maintenance is not hard, but it does require constant attention. Since you're new, I'll repeat one of my common replies: It's like the dentist. You can spend a few minutes a day for pennies a week or spend a small fortune once a year to have a movie-star smile.

I'll tell you this: Nobody will care for your pool as much as you do.

Richard320 said:
:nopic:

First thing to do is start reading Pool School. Pay attention to the section on test kits - that's the key. And whether or not you hire someone, you'll still want a kit to keep tabs on him. And the Pool Store testing is not really free, they'll sell you buckets o'snake oil every time you show up, or at least try to. And they're notoriously inacccurate. But there's enough threads on that topic, so I'll stop there.

Pool maintenance is not hard, but it does require constant attention. Since you're new, I'll repeat one of my common replies: It's like the dentist. You can spend a few minutes a day for pennies a week or spend a small fortune once a year to have a movie-star smile.

I'll tell you this: Nobody will care for your pool as much as you do.

Thanks. Is there a section on opening an inground pool. I see a section in the pool school for opening an above ground, but do not see one for an in-ground pool

As Richard suggested, go through pool school. We have some time before it's time to open the pool. The Picture Encyclopedia will help you to recognize the significant and common parts of your pool and the tools used in it's care.

In it's simplest terms, it's an artificial life form in your back yard. It has a heart (the pump), veins and arteries (the pipes to and from the pool and it's equipment pad), a kidney (the filter), and a brain (pool timer or automation). Some have some extras like underwater lighting, a heater, etc... It also needs to be fed and cleaned. When it breaks, someone needs to nurse it back to health.

This site is dedicated to helping you educate yourself. This keeps you from getting pool stored, i.e. spending lots of money on things your pool doesn't need. There are untold thousands of people that have come here after the fact. You get to learn from their mistakes. Enjoy the reading and learning. You,your family, and guests will appreciate the safe way you care for your pool.

Scott

Welcome to TFP!!

No one is born knowing how to properly care for a pool :)

As this is your first pool owning experience, I suggest you hire someone to open your pool for you. However, try to schedule it so you can be there to learn what they do and ask any questions you have.

I'm sure you'll be able to take care of the maintenance yourself once you see how things work (and with a little help from us :wink: )

I'm sure you'll have a great pool ownership experience! Please feel free to ask any questions (the only stupid question is the one unasked :cheers: )

[Scott posted whilst I was 'hunting and pecking' on my keyboard :rant: :mrgreen: . As he said, there's still time before you'll open the pool to read here and ask us questions. See how confident you feel about opening your own pool in a week, if ~less than sure, schedule a company to open your pool (you have to schedule it early or you won't be swimming til 7/4/11 :lol: )]

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.