stuck cap on Triton II TR-140 sand filter

FredW

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 13, 2010
Raleigh, NC
We have 3 of these filters on our 100k gal pool. They have a screw on cap (about 10 in diameter) with a pressure gauge on top of the cap. I've been fighting a losing battle with one of the caps and I'm looking for any tricks to get it off. I've broken one of the plastic wrenches that fits over the fins on the cap. I've tried getting more leverage with a length of pipe on the wrench handle. I've tapped on the cap with a rubber mallet, scraped around the rim, applied various lubricants. It's stuck and I'm stuck. Any ideas? Thanks. --Fred

FredW said:
We have 3 of these filters on our 100k gal pool. They have a screw on cap (about 10 in diameter) with a pressure gauge on top of the cap. I've been fighting a losing battle with one of the caps and I'm looking for any tricks to get it off. I've broken one of the plastic wrenches that fits over the fins on the cap. I've tried getting more leverage with a length of pipe on the wrench handle. I've tapped on the cap with a rubber mallet, scraped around the rim, applied various lubricants. It's stuck and I'm stuck. Any ideas? Thanks. --Fred
Have you relieved all the pressure/vacuum?

Otherwise, yeah, get new ones. Be exceedingly careful when cutting near any threads, you don't want to bugger them up.

Thanks for the replies. Gave it one more try with no pressure or vacuum and, what the heck, even tried the hair dryer. No luck. Will order the new closure and get the sawsall and vaseline together for the repair job.

Hi, Fred,

One word of caution....PoolguyNJ suggested that vaseline can be corrosive to some o-rings and I believe he is right. My o-ring is apparently impervious to it but it's 8 years old now and they may have changed.

There is a product called "pool lube" (I think that's the name) that will likely be a safer choice.

duraleigh said:
There is a product called "pool lube" (I think that's the name) that will likely be a safer choice.

There are may lubes out there for o-rings. A common brand is Magic Lube from Aladdin. These lubes are telfon based making them friendlier to the o-ring material.

I'm resurrecting this thread because I'm facing this very issue with my Triton II's closure cap. I'm going to have to use a saw of some sort to remove it. Any recommendations on the type of tool(s) I should use are appreciated. A sawsall was mentioned as a possible tool but I'm thinking this might be more effective: Rockwell RK3441K Compact Circular Saw Kit - Power Circular Saws - Amazon.com

Thoughts?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have that same filter and I can attest it is a booger bear to remove. I got it loose by using the plastic tool and tapping the ends over and over with a rubber mallet but I thought I was going to break it.

I can't quite picture JamesW's fix but he has a ton of experience.....I think I was just lucky.

Here's another idea.

1) Put on the lid wrench.
2) Find a cylinder that perfectly fits over the dome down to the flat part.
3) Make the bottom water tight with glue or tape.
4) Fill the cylinder with ice water.
5) Wait a few minutes for the dome to cool and shrink.
6) Unscrew with wrench.

I have a steel wrench, with long ends, never a problem for me.
Well who woulda thought that a runner mallet and my wife holding things still would do the trick. I'm happy to post this pic:
e2afe12c4bf685441e25752d5c33c1a1.jpg

Appreciate all the advice, folks!

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

There are may lubes out there for o-rings. A common brand is Magic Lube from Aladdin. These lubes are telfon based making them friendlier to the o-ring material.
For anyone this is helpful to, I find Aladdin Magic Lube to be more sticky, and so I use Leslie's lube, or a less sticky type of gasket lube for scenarios where I'm wanting more of a Grease-like behavior for the sand filter top cap threads than I am a stickier lube behavior.
Rinsing sand from everything did the trick during my last sand filter top re-installation. "greasing" it with a greasier type of gasket-friendly lube is a great idea.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.