Has anyone had problems with corrosion using SWG on AG Pool?

Beep

Feb 13, 2011
Has anyone had Corrosion problems using a SWG on there above ground pool?
I'm installing a Tahitian 24' round 54" deep, and want to use a SWG, but was told it will void my warranty.
the pool has vinyl covered steel walls and aluminum bottom rail, steel posts and resin top rail.
I've been told that from splash outs that the salt concentrate will corrode in as little as a few years.
Anyone had problems?

Thanks,
Beep!

I have never hear of anyone having any problems with a SWG in that situation. While it is possible in theory for salt to build up and cause corrosion, it doesn't seem to happen in practice. There isn't usually all that much splash out to begin with, and any salt that does build up is usually washed off by rain at some point. Some people like to give the rain a hand by washing off the frame every now and then, but that doesn't seem to needed except in the driest climates. The only cases of corrosion I have heard of were caused by holes in the liner allowing substantial amounts of water to get on the frame, but even then the corrosion was minor and easily fixed.

None here on the wall either. Sometimes AGP may have cheaper grade stainless bolts on the skimmer screws which may need to be replaced over time, but no significant corrosion noted here which would causeme any concern. FWIW a chlorine pool, non-swg, will accumulate salt in the water over time as any chlorine source adds salt to you water, just at maybe 1/3 the salt level of a typical SWG pool.

Re: Has anyone had problems with corrosion using SWG on AG P

Thanks for the replys, I have an intex krystal clear salt generator, but not sure how well it will handle my 15,000 gal pool, still deciding what to do...

Beep said:
Thanks for the replys, I have an intex krystal clear salt generator, but not sure how well it will handle my 15,000 gal pool, still deciding what to do...

We recently purchased a 15,000 gal pool, and we want to use an intex SWG. Intex has some pretty large pools, so I assume they will have a SWG that will fit our needs. I'll let you now what model they suggest when I get around to researching a little more.

Model 56601...it's the 2009 and prior model, wthout copper ionization (you can still find it on ebay...just double check with the seller 1st, to make sure it the older model). I chlorinate my 13.5k gal pool on a 3 hr run time. My guess is that it can easily handle a 15k Gal pool, as it can run for up to 12 hrs.

The newer models, besides adding metals to your water apparently only have half the chlorine output of older ones. While they will still get the job done, you'll need to run your pump longer than you may wish.

I've actually got a lot of corrosion on mine. We've had it almost 5 years, and for the past couple of years, the metal top rim/rail under the plastic ledge has been corroding heavily and flaking off steadily. Every time I vacuum - get lots of pieces.

Any scratch or nick in the paint on the walls becomes heavily corroded. Actually this past weekend, I was messing with a large patch of corrosion on the wall and punched through. Luckily it's about an inch or two below the water line - will patch it to prevent rips in the liner.

We have a Goldline Aquatrol and a 24' diameter pool. Can't remember the brand, it is old.

I think I am going to be perusing Craigslist for replacements this season - make it last one more year and then replace next winter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.