RAYPAK DIGITAL POOL HEATER - INOPERATIVE

Jun 7, 2010
I was heating up my spa this past weekend. However, the spa temperature only increased to 97 degrees before the heater shut-off. A quick check of the diagnostic code on the heater control panel indicated a code of HL2. From the owner's manual, this appears to be a high limit switch issue. Is this an easy and low cost (DIY type) repair? If so, I'm all ears. Thanks.

Not sure if this is easy, low cost or DIY type repair.

HL2 = High limit switch 2 is open. The switch opens if water temp inside the inlet/outlet header exceeds 135 - 140 F.
If you reset the heater and the HL2 does not reset, then the HL2 is likely faulty. When you order a high limit, there are 2 types on these models. Red (135 F) or black (140 f).

If you reset the heater, the HL2 resets and the heater fires for a short time, then the problem is likely with restricted water flow inside the inlet/outlet header.
Check the Unitherm Governor (thermostat) and the Internal Automatic Bypass Valve.

If you are uncomfortable with this type of repair work, a good service technician can be a wise investment in not only your time but the safety of you and your family.

Thank you for your replies. I had tried resetting the heater (by shutting everything down and disconnecting the power), but after restoring the power, the digital panel on the heater wouldn't turn back on (and it's now it's a blank screen). The heater looks like it doesn't have power and it won't fire back-up. :cry: As suggested, I'll contact a good service technican to investigate and repair. I'll post the outcome too. Thanks again.

Thirded.

Only to add that the hi-limit needs to cool to reset, a power disconnect wont do it if reset to quickly after fault.
If the board is blank, this could be that the automation or fireman's switch is open.
Contacting a pro (as you are doing), is the best course at this point.

Good Luck

As recommended, I hired a pro to inspect my system. He determined that my spa-side remote switch appears to be shorted-out (supposedly a common problem) and it affected all systems that were programmed to operate on high-speed pump operation. (I have an Intelliflo variable speed pump). Therefore, my heater, spa and pool sweep became inoperative. Only the slow speed mode (for pool filtration) was still operable. The HL2 heater limit switch tested alright. The repairman believes the HL2 code may have been activated due to an overheat situation if the heater continued to operate when the pump switched over to low speed mode (due to the shorted-out spa-side switch). The repairman disconnected the spa-side switch and we'll test everything for a few days. If all checks out OK, the spa-side switch will be replaced and reconnected.

inmypool said:
If all checks out OK, the spa-side switch will be replaced and reconnected.

If the the spa side control is hooked to an easy touch, or intellitouch system, they should assign a speed dedicated to the "heater" in the pump speed selections. The intellitouch will refer to whichever speed is the highest, so if a mode gets deactivated it doesnt shut the flow down the the point where the heater faulters.

Also if its an easy touch or intellitouch, or compool 3*** series the spa side will lock itself out if it gets shorted.

Yes, I have a Pentair Intellitouch system and the spa side control is connected to it. I know a pump speed had been dedicated to the spa. Two speeds were also dedicated to the pool - a slow speed when the pool is only filtering and a high speed when the pool cleaner is operating. However, I'm not sure if a speed had been dedicated to the heater. From the HL2 heater code scenario (which I covered earlier), it doesn't seem like the heater has a dedicated speed, does it? I'll have to have the repairman check this out. At the time of the high speed pump and heater failure, I did notice that the spa side switches would not operate at all (which includes the switches for the path lights, spa pump, booster pump and heater), which seems to support your statement regarding the spa side switch locking itself out when shorted.

Thanks for the input. I'll post any updates I have on the topic.

There should be a speed assigned to the heater to protect the heater. Typically we set them at 2300-2500rpm to run the heater.

I would have them look into it, because I have a have a hard time believing that the spaside control would cause the heater to overheat.

You could always look for youself

Push menu-advanced-equipment-intelliflo-intelliflo 1 (should be if you only have 1 pump). -assign custom speeds it will show you how all of the speeds are mapped.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Seems ok to me, I don't quite see how the spa side control can cause the pump to go down in a speed below the preset heater speed.

They only thing that I would critique is the spa speed. I would have a lower spa speed, and have a speed assigned to the jets that was around 3000, or so. Then that speed controlled from the spa side control and labeled as jets.

Why are you suggesting a lower spa speed and what is your recommended speed? Would a lower spa speed result in my spa taking longer to heat up? Just so we're both on the same page, by "spa speed", I'm assuming you're referring to the speed of the variable speed (intelliflo) pump operation for the spa circulation through the filter and heater. Yes?

As for the spa jets, I have a separate (single speed) booster pump for that and it is also controlled by the spa side remote and the intellitouch control panel. Not sure what speed that pump operates at. Besides, I can't control the speed of that pump motor. BTW: I also have a separate (single speed) pool sweep pump motor and I obviously can't control the speed of that either.

So far, the variable speed pump, pool sweep pump and booster pump all seem to be working alright. The heater was only successfully tested for 10 minutes. Haven't tried to get the spa up to normal operating temperature yet (to test the HL2 switch).

The repairman indicated that the dedicated speeds were evidently cleared from the intellitouch memory. He thinks that a possible shorted spa side switch may have caused this situation. Right now I'm operating the intellitouch system with the spa side disconnected and if no issues arise after testing for a week or two, the repairman will replace the spa side switch and reconnect it to the intellitouch system.

If there is no jets hooked to the spa return on the filtration system, then the spa could be at the same as the pool. The heater speed will bump it up to prevent the hl2 error.

If there are no speed designated in the intellitouch I wonder what would tell it to turn on at all....

"If there is no jets hooked to the spa return on the filtration system, then the spa could be at the same as the pool. The heater speed will bump it up to prevent the hl2 error." Keep in mind that the pump speed for the pool is currently set at only 1700 (when the heater or pool cleaner aren't operating). However, when the heater or pool cleaner are operating, the pool pump speed gets bumped up to 3000. Are you saying I should set the spa pump speed to 1700 (to match the lowest pool speed)?

"If there are no speed designated in the intellitouch I wonder what would tell it to turn on at all...." I'm not sure I understand your comment. As I previously indicated, the intellitouch is indeed programmed to allow the heater to turn on at 2600.

The pool speed should be as low as possible, at least down to 1000, while still having the skimmers work correctly. Some experimentation is in order.

The pump speed for spa mode only matters if you have jets on the spa return and want the flow rate adjusted so the jets have a specific strength. Adjust the spa speed so you get the amount of jet action you want.

The cleaner speed almost certainly doesn't need to be 3000. Check to see if the cleaner works at much lower speeds. If it does you can turn the cleaner speed down as low as you want.

The heater speed probably doesn't need to be as high as 2600, but it is difficult to know what it should be. Certainly it should be higher than the pool speed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.