New Ecostar pump

May 22, 2010
Hello, I replaced my 1-1/2 hp whisper flow with a Hayward Ecostar about 3 months ago and now I have bubbles on my returns and the pump basket never fills up with water and has bubbles on lid. I tried to turn on solar and with the pump at full speed I can't clear the bubbles from the returns wit solar on, the panels are about 18 foot high on a two story house. I have checked all fittings and put plumbers silicone on both drain plugs on pump and re lubed the pump lid gasket, also I took a hose and ran over the unions and pump but nothing shows up. The whisper flow worked perfect with the same setupI'm stuck! Thank you for your help.

It is a variable speed pump? You may need to adjust the controls so it runs on a faster setting. What is the max running capacity on the pump? The brochure doesn't translate RPM into horsepower equivalents. I do wonder if it has enough power to run the solar since the brochure states "Auto priming capability with suction lift up to 10 feet above water level.

One other thing to check is to make sure the water level on the pool is high enough. You might try adding a couple of inches of water and see if that makes a difference.

That sounds like a suction side air leak. Some possible locations for the leak are the seal around the lid of the pump strainer basket, or the water level too low in a skimmer allowing air to get drawn down, or bad joint where they connected the pump intake pipe, or any of several other less likely possibilities.

The ecostar is a variable speed pump and it's rated for 3 hp, i would think it would do better than the 1.5 whisper flow. I checked both unions and the pump lid o ring is well lubed. the pool level is high enough. Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.