Can the Ozonator go before the inline Chlornator?

Beep

Feb 13, 2011
Hello, I'm new to this pool stuff, and am just trying to figure out my setup, my question is that does the ozonator have to be before or after the inline chlorinator? my setup would be alot simpler if the ozonator could go before the chlorinator. I have attached a qick sketch of my proposed setup. I'm thinking of using a Rainbow 320C chlorinator with my Del Clear Ozone system, any sugestions?
Thanks, Beep.

Attachments

• Pool shed setup Model (1).jpg
    Pool shed setup Model (1).jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 168
Yes it can if it is a SWG cell it may even be beneficial. For a rainbow unit I am not familiar enough with the materials used in these units to tell you if it is ok.

I would do it anyway. Rainbow parts are cheap enough. Think your money would be better spent buying only a SWG rather than the rainbow or the ozone (and I have both). After replacing my rainbow with a SWG, my rainbow went straight to the trash can.

Ozone injection is typically at the suction side pump plug where the impeller can mix it. When the pump is running, it generates a vacuum, drawing a little air in, air that is coming from the ozone generator. Some of that air now contains ozone, aka O3. Anything that can be oxidized and comes into contact with it is toast. The filter catches the oxidized waste.

Whether the chlorine feed is a tablet feeder, liquid feeder, or salt cell will make no difference. Any FC that does happenstance into an O3 is spent but the volume of FC vs O3 is many times greater. The lost FC amount is not a significant amount usually since the ozone that entered the system is mostly toast by the time it gets to the entryway for the chlorine and any residual O3 will decompose quickly.

Scott

SWG might pose some risk to softer natural stone work, or if you have a metal pool wall in direct contact with the water (which is extremely rare). If you have the far more common metal wall covered by a vinyl liner then there is essentially no risk to the metal wall at all. At worst you might have some mild and easily fixed corrosion if the liner had a leak.

Thanks for the replies!
After LOTS of reading, I have ruled out the inline chlorinator due to the constant maintenance problems, leaking gaskets, and CYA build up. I'm going to use a rola-chem feeder for liquid chlorine.

Beep, I'm not sure where you read those things but all of your reasons seem to be mis-informed. I have a Pentair SWG and in the 3 years I've owned the pool, I've given it maintenance only 2-3 times... and that involved simply unscrewing the couplers, and cleaning the plates by letting it soak in a Muriatic Acid solution for a few minutes. No big deal. I've never had the gaskets leak, and you've got the CYA buildup thing backwards. Using chlorine pucks is what causes CYA to buildup, a SWG does not increase your CYA at all. The only downside that I've ever noticed with the SWG is the PH slowly rises over time. I add some MA every week or two and all is well (although I should probably add smaller amounts more often).

You got it, yes the trichlor pucks, I have a Intex Krystal clear SWG, and used it on my smaller intex pool, but not sure how well it will work on my new pool. I do agree it was pretty much set and forget, and yes my PH did rise up a bit, this was before I found this site and I was always wondering why the clorine level dropped so fast , but now I know because I had 0 CYA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.