Vf intelliflo and Suntouch

Oct 17, 2009
WoyWoy Australia
Hi ,
Ive just conected the ST to the VF and arfter 3 days and rereading the instructions a few times Ive got it mostly worked out . MY pool is 22ft by 7 ft and 4000gal I have solar with 3way valve and actuator , thats it simple .
On the Suntouch I programed FLOWS pool 25gpm and 2nd Flow Solar 30 gpm but when the solar is running and I check status it says 25gpm .

The real problems is Iam just guessing (educated :roll: ) at what Iam supposed to enable or set , I assigned a circuit for the pool and then another for the solar in the pump section .
The other thing is scheduling 4/14 I set the pool to start at 630am and turn off at 530pm , it turn on ok but switched off at 5pm .

Does anyone have any hints , like should it be set to single body or shared equipment , its in shared equipment now as the pump would nt turn back on arfter the solar turned off .

I did get a intellicomm II with it but the ST has had the firmware up grade to support the VF :whoot: I thought , but I now thinking maybe useing an ext control on the VF would be easier and I keep the us of the keypad on the pump !! .

Iam sure they sent the instruction to russia translated to russian the to china into cantonese then back to America to to american :roll:

thanks Dave

OK, I'm no expert but I did spend several days struggling with a sun touch and an VS pump. Check out the threadhttp://www.troublefreepool.com/sun-touch-controller-t28386.html if you're interested though my setup was more complicated than yours.

So here's my attmept to give back to the community, others please correct me if I'm wrong somewhere and I will update my post.

Note: My directions use High mode, you can swap Low for High since you're setting this up for a pool and not a spa; the High/Low really only makes sense if you're using the ST in single body for a spa only. I like thinking of High as heating mode so that's why I wrote it up using High

Use single body mode. Enable the solar under the solar menu; set your ranges and temps.

From here on go in whatever order you want:

Under the Heat menu enable Solar for High, leave Low and all the other settings set to off.

Under Schedules setup a schedule for High from 6:30am to 5:30 pm (or whatever you want, but you must have the pump running during hours when heat is available - solar will not kick in uness the pump is already running).

Under the pump menu set up a speed for High that gets you a flow that turns over your pool in the 11 hours scheduled. Then setup a flow for Solar that is sufficient to push the water through your system without any air sounds - you can tweak from there but that's a good starting point. Looking at the manual it doens't appear that there is a High or Low option for the VF pump when in single body mode - but I found the manual to be full of errors (your translation history is probably right :wink: ) If the manual is actually right then I'v been told by tech support that High = Spa and Low = Pool. You'll have to play with it and/or try calling tech support - I had to go through two guys until I finally found someone who actually knew what htye were talking about with the ST.

Since High is configured to use Solar for heat, the Solar will kick in when there's a need to heat the pool and there is heat available. The rest of the time it will run at the lower speed you set for the High mode filtering your pool. You can also turn on freeze mode protection under the Circ functions menu. And make sure the solar valve is plugged into Valve C on the motherboard.

Good luck!

Hi carlscan26 ,
thanks for the reply , well I didnt have time to try what you said today , but I did notice the flow from the outlets seemed to be high so I went and checked the pump parameters , the status showed 45gpm I checked pool volume and it had returned to the default of 15000G so I changed it back to what I wanted and gpm went back to 25 other than that all seemed fine the pump turned of at 530pm as programed .

The solar seems to run ok at 25gpm so thats not really a problem , if I have problems Ill give your system a go , your explianation of the high low setting makes a bit more sense of things now too thanks .

Cant ring pentair as Iam in Australia and I imported the ST from the States so Iam on my own here apart from this site and the net .

It seems to be working ok so ill just waiting and see , all companies that write manuals should go on the street grab someone and say ok read this and see if you can set it up I think it would open their eyes !! .

> Cant ring pentair as Iam in Australia and I imported the ST from the States

pentair tech support will answer any questions from anywhere in the world and using skype to call is cheap :) (you can preload a few dollars into your account and call away..)

1orime.gif

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.