My booster pumps died

Miscanthus

LifeTime Supporter
May 3, 2009
I have a pentair 3/4 hp booster pump. It is making a a very loud screaming sound. I made a mistake of shutting the valve that caries water to the pump. Anyway, can I replace just the motor or should I just buy a new pump. Any suggestions on where to buy on the internet? Thanks.

Depending on whether it's the wet end making the noise or the motor making the noise. If it's the motor then it's very possible to just replace it. but if it's the wet end and it's very old at all I'd suggest just replacing the entire pump. Google is your friend when searching for a new pump or motor.

Cost wise if the impeller is melted I would replace the whole pump. The cost of a impeller and motor separate are more then a whole pump.. If not melted just replace the motor and pump seal...

I've had good success in comparing eBay vs Amazon vs Bing/Google Prices Paid listings.

Quite often the online stores are willing to beat the best price by 10 to 20%.

For each eBay seller it is common to make an offer via email and they are often willing to lower the price.

If there was no water in it, it's likely the impeller. Not that costly (~$20 for the impeller from Amazon - sure you can find it cheaper), and not that difficult a fix (IMHO).... assuming you are somewhat mechanically inclined.

Make sure you get the shaft-seal as well ($8 from amazon).

I hate to say it, but I often have customers that want to save some money by turning off the pool pump - and leaving the booster pump clock on. :hammer: I replaced three impellers last year - don't think they'll be making that mistake again this year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.