Installing a light when I replace the liner

Aug 5, 2008
Dahlonega, Georgia
I will be installing a new vinyl liner this spring, and I want to add a light to the deep end of my 16 x 32 pool. Is this a DIY job, and what type of light is recommended? I can do basic electrical, but this one scares me. Thanks for any insight.

Ken

Installing an underwater light in an in-ground pool without an existing niche is more complex that most DIY types will want to tackle, though it is possible. To install an underwater light you need access to both sides of the pool wall. Typically it is very difficult to get access to the outside of the pool wall on an in-ground pool, as it is often underneath the deck. There are also a variety of special electrical wiring rules that apply to underwater lights. Following all of them requires a good understanding of the version of the electrical code in your area. All of that can be figured out. Still, it is a significant project, requiring some time for research and a fair bit of digging, but it is not really difficult in the sense that it doesn't require any special skills that take a while to master.

JasonLion said:
Installing an underwater light in an in-ground pool without an existing niche is more complex that most DIY types will want to tackle, though it is possible. To install an underwater light you need access to both sides of the pool wall. Typically it is very difficult to get access to the outside of the pool wall on an in-ground pool, as it is often underneath the deck. There are also a variety of special electrical wiring rules that apply to underwater lights. Following all of them requires a good understanding of the version of the electrical code in your area. All of that can be figured out. Still, it is a significant project, requiring some time for research and a fair bit of digging, but it is not really difficult in the sense that it doesn't require any special skills that take a while to master.

Thanks for the info, I am not sure I want to tackle the light project myself. I will get some price quotes before I proceed.

As a pro, I would tell you you no thank you. It would require replacing a wall panel if it's available. Is it work the thousands of dollars it would cost to do that? The decking and coping, if replacements are available, would go and possibly require moving supports. That's a LOT of digging.

Scott

Actually, it's not too hard to retro in a light. It's easier if you remove a section of deck for better access, but it can be done by tunneling. You don't need to replace the panel, just cut a hole in it.

While you could put in a standard niche, it'd be easier to use a nicheless light (like the AquaLuminII).

Hope this post was a little 'enlightening' :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.