Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: start up 1 wk ago...here's my numbers....

1. Back To Top    #1

start up 1 wk ago...here's my numbers....

pH = 7.4
    alkalinity = 70
    cya = 0
    total hardness = 70
    total chlorine = 0
    free chlorine = 0

28,000 gallon gunite/plaster pool w/ 60sq ft DE filter

pool store recommended adding

4 lbs alkalinity increaser
    3 lbs of shock
    20 lbs of calcium hardness increaser

I added 6 7oz chlorine pucks to the chlorinator on Sat night and set it all the way up...still not registering any chlorine levels. Are the above recommendations appropriate for a brand new plaster pool? How critical is the calcium harness increaser right now? our harness reading was 0 on Sunday, now it's 70.
    28,000 gallon gunite/white plaster with 30ft RBB and 2ft sheer descent, 100 sq ft thermaledge, 50sq ft spa w/ 6 jets
    2HP Jandy pump, 60sq ft Jandy DE filter, 400,000 BTU Jandy LX Nat Gas Heater, 2 Jandy color lights + Jandy color spa light, Jandy Aqualink RS6, Jandy AquaPure 1400

2. Back To Top    #2
    A new plaster pool will normally bring the alkalinity and calcium levels up all by it's self as the plaster cures. If you add any now it will end up being too high in a few weeks.

CYA can test as zero when it is as high as 15 (or perhaps 20). I would just keep on using the trichlor pucks for a while till you have a good CYA level.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

smuggs...welcome to TFP. Glad you came over to check this out from Gardenweb....I think you will like it. JasonLion is one of the very very very smart people on this site....follow his advice and you will be in good hands.

Ls
    14 x 32 Fiberglass Pool 10K gal. Hayward Pump and Sand Filter. Autopilot SWG Dig 48 and Heat Siphon 3.25sx Heat Pump.

The Pool Calculator
    Chlorine/CYA Chart by Chemgeek