Chemical equivalents.

Jan 18, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Brisbane floods have subsided, and cyclone Yasi has passed (though many in Queensland have lost everything, and Victoria is still copping damage). Yasi was similar in size and intensity to Katrina, but fortunately the areas it crossed were less populated and less vulnerable than with Katrina. One person died because he took shelter in a small room with a generator running to provide power and was asphyxiated. Two are missing after their boat capsized. Remarkably little loss of life.

On to pool stuff...

When I tested the pool yesterday, the chlorine had dropped to 0.5ppm.
Grandchildren were expected for a swim so I wanted a quick fix. Pool shop recommended one of their products BioGuard Lite Pool Oxidiser - (Active constituents: sodium dichloroisocyanurate (37.2%) and Sodium Tetraborate Pentahydrate (10%)).

I tested again this morning with the following results:

Temp = 30C :cool:
FC = 5
pH = 7.6
TA = 50
CH = 100
CYA = 40

To increase the TA I added 2kg of BioGuard Alkalinity Increaser (100% Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate)

I'll check again tomorrow to see how it responds.

Unfortunately it is difficult to buy simple chlorine bleach and the pool shop didn't want to provide liquid chlorine (probably because they were too busy to mess about filling a container, and perhaps it is less profitable.
Can anyone explain why they might recommend sodium dichloroisocyanurate as a quick and simple way to increase the chlorine level?
Similarly, is there a simple alternative to Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate as an Alkalinity Increaser?

Any feedback or comment appreciated.

Ray Mondo said:
Can anyone explain why they might recommend sodium dichloroisocyanurate as a quick and simple way to increase the chlorine level?
To make money. :wink: dichlor will raise CYA pretty quick, so unless that is your objective you shouldn't use it.
Ray Mondo said:
Similarly, is there a simple alternative to Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate as an Alkalinity Increaser?
Alkalinity Up is simply baking soda, same as you buy in the grocery store.

EDIT: bk beat me to it! :whip:

Beez said:
To make money. :wink: dichlor will raise CYA pretty quick, so unless that is your objective you shouldn't use it.
OK, Thanks for the feedback. I have a supply of baking soda but wanted to confirm that it can be used for Alkalinity Increaser. I'll use it in future. As I suspected, they mis-name it Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate because if they called in Sodium Bicarbonate nobody would buy it from the pool shop.

On chlorine, given the difficulty of purchasing simple liquid chlorine bleach in the supermarket, would it be best to simply press the pool shop to supply liquid chlorine? (or find one who will?). Is there another simple way to boost chlorine?

Thanks again....

Ray Mondo said:
On chlorine, given the difficulty of purchasing simple liquid chlorine bleach in the supermarket, would it be best to simply press the pool shop to supply liquid chlorine? (or find one who will?). Is there another simple way to boost chlorine?
Liquid chlorine is the best bet. If it is so hard to find you might consider getting a SWG, then you won't have to worry about it. :goodjob:

Beez said:
Ray Mondo said:
Liquid chlorine is the best bet. If it is so hard to find you might consider getting a SWG, then you won't have to worry about it. :goodjob:
Thanks. I have a SWG, but sometimes it needs a boost, like after the continuous heavy rain we have had recently.
If liquid chlorine is the best way to do it, I'll just find a pool shop that will supply it.
Cheers

Ray Mondo said:
Beez said:
[quote="Ray Mondo":1m83p7fy]On chlorine, given the difficulty of purchasing simple liquid chlorine bleach in the supermarket, would it be best to simply press the pool shop to supply liquid chlorine? (or find one who will?). Is there another simple way to boost chlorine?
Thanks. I have a SWG, but sometimes it needs a boost, like after the continuous heavy rain we have had recently.
If liquid chlorine is the best way to do it, I'll just find a pool shop that will supply it.
Cheers[/quote:1m83p7fy]
...but that raises another question. I am wondering if there's an easy way to test salt levels?
My chlorinator has lo salt and hi salt indicators, but they don't seem very accurate or reliable.

Cheers,

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Read the back of baking soda boxes, Bicarb is bicarb but baking soda sometimes has wheatflour, sodium pyrophosphate and cram of tartar (or just chuck in some flour and eggs and make a cake)

Try looking for commercial cleaning companies if you can't get chlorine easily they usually have commercial strength at good prices.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.