Water line tile considerations....thoughts?

RawhideKid

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 16, 2010
So, we are trying to figure out the main three "color elements" of a major pool construct...interior color, waterline tile color, and decking color. I am not color blind but might as well be...

I think we are doing Aqua Blue Pebblesheen, and some kind of basic lace acrylic deck - medium brown color.

Started looking at tile, and holy cow Batman, I can't believe all the colors, styles, and TEXTURES to choose from!

So my question is this: I imagine that smoother is better - much easier to scrub crud off, correct? We like the rainforest terra blue style/color from Nobile: http://www.nobletile.com/rainforestR.html but they are a bit pricey. They are not super smooth but much more than some of them that feel like, well, sand paper! They aren't glassy smooth either like some - have a few smooth indents I guess I would call them.

We will also be doing tile on our sunken bar ledge where four in-water stools will be. The top of the stools will also be tiled.

Any considerations here we should be aware of? Hope to go look at some tiles/decking combinations this weekend!

Thanks,
RK

We are in the same boat. It's hard to pick all the different colors and materials at the same time. The 3D software my PB uses only has 1 color of pavers.

The tile store had SO many styles, colors and sizes of tile. They had a VERY cool glazed tile that looked like Amber colored Glass (but it was Porcelain). It looked cool, but didn't fit with the style and theme of our pool.

I like this tile too: http://www.nobletile.com/coral.html

But most of our pool has 12-18" of tile and that pattern might look a little funny stacked 2 high.

Like this: http://www.nobletile.com/ocean.html

The hand holds in the last photo are weird too. I'm not sure why anyone would want to do that...

In the end we picked a more neutral color blue tile with some earth tones mixed in. I think it will work well with a Medium brown coping and a lighter brown decking. We also went with 3" tiles, because I didn't like the look of 2 x 6" tiles on the back side of the pool. I'll delete the photo if you don't want it in here.

Attachments

• Copy of 4.JPG
    Copy of 4.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 654
Hey Nightmare, that looks nice. We ended up with the Rainforest tile, and so far, it looks really nice. Getting positive comments from people already, and the pool doesn't even have water in it yet! Not sure how it'll all blend, since the cool deck isn't complete yet, but we'll know soon!

RK

We went with a brighter blue tile also - very similar to the rainforest (without the darker beige coloring in it) - our travertine was lighter, almost white, so we picked a tile that had a very light beige color accenting the blue - our pebble sheen is aqua blue. I think you will really like the aqua blue you have - makes the pool jump out at you and look refreshing!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306324418.036948.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306324418.036948.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 583
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.