Pentair Superflo install help

May 21, 2008
I'm swapping out pool pumps and ran into a bit of an issue. Hopefully someone on the forum might be able help me track down the problem.

The original pump, an Anthony Pools pump (model AR205-L), initially installed in 1990, has finally been retired.

The replacement, a brand new Pentair SuperFlo (Product number:348023 Model number: SF-NI-1AE), has been installed but hums / does not kick over when started.

Both pumps are rated for 115/230v. The Anthony Pools pump has a physical voltage switch that was set to 230v. The Pentair doesn't seem to have a physical voltage toggle. I'm guessing it may be auto-sensing.

I figured the switch over would be as simple as swapping the three wires (black/red/green, two hot and a ground) from the old pump to the new. After wiring the ground and the two hot wires (which according to the internet, don't have to be wired to a specific terminal as both wires are hot) the pump hums (doesn't kick over) and turns itself off after about 10-15 seconds.

I've only let this cycle happen a handful of times as I don't want to damage the motor. Using a volt meter both lines appear to be providing ~115 at the pump. The impeller isn't clogged. I'm guessing the problem might be with the capacitor.

Are there any other angles I should consider when troubleshooting this pump?

Usually you wire the pump a little differently for 115 or 220, and that often involves swapping a wire or clip on the motor. There should be a drawing on the end cap, on the motor or in the manual.

Most of the time dual voltage motors come wired for the higher voltage. As John said, there should be a wiring diagram on the nameplate of the motor.

When you say both lines appear to be 115 volts is that line to neutral or line to line?

The shaft turns freely by hand.

Line to neutral shows 115 for each hot.

The older pump has a plastic switch that was slid to the 230v position. The replacement pump (Pentair Superflo) seems to determine voltage via the B and A connection points.

The wiring diagram on the side of the motor states:

Low Voltage
Brown <---> B
0<--------> L1
White <---> L2
0<--------> A

High Voltage
White<---> B
0<-------> L1
0<-------> L2
Brown<---> A

The pump suggests it ships with 230v as the default wiring scheme. This looks to be the case as both B and A have wires originating from within the pump, matching the high voltage diagram above.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.