Laminar Fiber light pool jets

Flippy

Jan 8, 2011
Richmond, Texas
Howdy -

Now that I got the pool lights replaced, thanks to TFP, I have another question. I have 5 Fiberstars mini fiber optic laminar pool jets. When reading the manual it states they are supposed to go 3 feet up and 5 feet out max. From looking at my picture you can see that they are way above and beyond that. They have a dedicated 1.5 hp Sta - Rite pump. What is the easiest way to get these down to three feet as they don't work the way I imagine they were intended to work. Also I am concerned that the pressure may be too great as one of the five had been glued back together before we bought the house. Will this require buying a smaller pump? If so what size? I have had some friends suggest a ball valve after the pump but I am not sure that will reduce it enough or if that will cause the pump to prematurely die. From the pump to the lights is approximately 30 feet. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Flippy

Attachments

• New pool lights.jpg
    New pool lights.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 258
PoolGuyNJ -

Not sure what you mean by filter. I am still a newbie at this, but have learned a lot from this website, so please excuse my ignorance. From what I can tell the pump has one pipe in and one pipe out and it is labeled water feature and has no other valves. If there is a valve it would have to be underground somewhere between the pump and laminars. Also I don't see any other returns going while they are running. So would I need to change to a 3/4 hp impeller? 1/2? It is possible that they had it plumbed differently when it was first built as the pool inspector said it looked to him like things were moved around. Do I need to change the O rings when I replace the impeller? Thanks in advance.

Thanks

Flippy

I finally got around to changing the impeller however it only cut the flow by about 1/3. I added a ball valve after the pump to cut down on the flow only to find a ball valve for each laminar in the flower bed while pulling out dead plants from the big winter freeze. Anyway here is a updated picture of how everything looks now. I get my last spa pool light for the stairs this week and will finally be done with the pool. Next project is getting the yard back in shape. I am worried I will loose the three queen palms that survived last years big freeze. Thanks to everyone and this web site for helping me get up to speed on the lights and chemicals.

Attachments

• IMG_3855 [1280x768].JPG
    IMG_3855 [1280x768].JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 711
Looks good. Sorry you needed a ball valve to restrict it. Builders know they should put a bleeder return in the pool but scrimp on the few dollars it takes to plumb it for profit. Expect a somewhat shortened motor life than you might have gotten given your usage pattern. Watch the seal set as they will wear a bit faster too.

Scott

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.