Calcium Hardness Can I use this to Save $$$

mjt123

Jul 5, 2007
Can you just get the Ice melt "calcium chloride" at home depot? It would save me a lot of $$$. I found the MSDS sheet for the the stuff home depot sells and it was 65% calcium chloride would that be ok???

Thanks Mike

Edit done to post

CH - Calcium Hardness
Calcium hardness can be raised with calcium chloride or calcium chloride dihydrate. They are available in some areas as Peladow, Dowflake, Tetra Flake, or Tetra 94, often sold as a deicer by hardware stores, and some big box stores, in colder climates. Pool stores will carry either calcium chloride or calcium chloride dihydrate under a variety of names, including Hardness Plus, Balance Pak 300, Calcium Hardness Increaser, etc. Calcium products should be spread across the surface of the deep end of the pool.
This quote was copied directly from Pool School under the Recommended Pool Chemicals section.

Note that "calcium carbonate" is NOT the same as "calcium chloride". Calcium carbonate would not only increase the CH, but also the pH and TA by huge amounts so no, you can't use that for raising CH. You can, however, use calcium chloride which is a much more common form of ice salt as noted in the above posting from the Pool School.

That MSDS is very poor since it gives such a wide range of concentration, doesn't list the pH, etc. For comparison, Peladow is 90% Calcium Chloride (anhydrous) while Dowflake is 96% Calcium Chloride Dihydrate (equivalent to 72% Calcium Chloride Anhydrous). If the "other" ingredients are just water or sodium chloride salt, then that's OK, but I can't tell that from the MSDS.

chem geek said:
That MSDS is very poor since it gives such a wide range of concentration, doesn't list the pH, etc. For comparison, Peladow is 90% Calcium Chloride (anhydrous) while Dowflake is 96% Calcium Chloride Dihydrate (equivalent to 72% Calcium Chloride Anhydrous). If the "other" ingredients are just water or sodium chloride salt, then that's OK, but I can't tell that from the MSDS.

So should I keep looking or do you think is safe try? Maybe I should look at lowes or Menards to see if they sell something else that has a more detailed MSDS.

Thanks Mike

I have the same question , however I have Morton brand that I use for melting the snow ... can I use that one ? Or only those 2 brands recommended in the previous posts ? Is it safe to use it , what’s the diffrence between this and the one sold at pool stores .

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.