My build, lots of pictures

We ran out of money for a while but then were able to buy the steel, a double layer of 8mm steel on 15x15cm centres. I buy it on sheets as it saves thousands of ties. We made "L" pieces to join the sides to the bottom.

Attachments

• IMG_2589.jpg
    IMG_2589.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 1,151
I didn't get any images of the base being poured so it's straight on to the shuttering, the inner part of the mold for the walls. We used a mix of expensive yellow blockboard shutter boards and standard Portuguese wet pine boards and joists.

Attachments

• IMG_2638.jpg
    IMG_2638.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 1,150
This shot shows the shuttering complete with just the internal bracing to be finished. You can see the shuttering needed to create the bench seat on the other side and the holes (which have lids) so that we can pump concrete into the lower section of that side.

Attachments

• IMG_2659.jpg
    IMG_2659.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 1,151

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thats me holding the concrete hose and directing it into the void while a guy who works for me follows with the vibrator. If you vibrate too long and the stone all goes to the bottom, too short and the concrete doesn't fill the void.
You can also see the pump operator with his remote control for the boom. This is the scariest part of a pool for me, hoping your shuttering will hold while shouting over the din of the pump in Portuguese (not my native language).

Attachments

• IMG_2717.jpg
    IMG_2717.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 1,147
A few days later, removing the wooden shutter and de nailing all that wood, lovely and so fulfilling. All seems well. I remember I was being attacked by horse flies at this point and it was 107 in the shade.

Attachments

• IMG_2761.jpg
    IMG_2761.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 1,146
At this point we cleared it out, screeded the floor and filled it with water for the rest of the summer. I also wanted to test the shell at this point for leaks. Many wonderful swimming days followed. After building many pools for other people finally I had one for my children (and me and my wife)

Attachments

• IMG_2790.jpg
    IMG_2790.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,144
Once the water became too cold to swim, I emptied the pool to prepare it for rendering. This shot shows the scratch coat done. This is a watery sand and cement slurry that helps the mortar bond to the smooth concrete. You can also see the slight leaks I discovered at the bottom. This was expected and was dealt with using waterproof mortars.

Attachments

• IMG_3248.jpg
    IMG_3248.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 1,142
Getting cold now. This is the 1st wall rendered with the sand cement mortar (4 sand to 1 cement by volume). This is perfectly vertical and flat. I scratched up the mortar at the bottom to help the curved fillet adhere later.

Attachments

• IMG_3286.jpg
    IMG_3286.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 1,143
Rendering the walls and seat to get all the geometry perfect. I want all the tiles to line up perfectly so all the walls have to be vertical and parallel to within 3mm. The curves are also accurate.

Attachments

• IMG_0067.jpg
    IMG_0067.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 1,142
Compound curve in the corner. The radii of the vertical fillet is holf the radii of the floor/wall fillet. Autocad was my pal here. Basically I did the floor fillet 1st , then the corner fillet. When the former was drawn down to the floor, I kept it vertical so that the radii of the corner fillet decreases logarithmically to nothing.

Attachments

• IMG_0109.jpg
    IMG_0109.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 1,142

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.