First test results with new test kit.

TizMe

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 26, 2007
Covington, Georgia
We got our TF test kit the other day and here is our first set of readings. We actually did a test last night and got two different readings. Results were a little different and fairly close, so I assume we are doing this right.

Yesterdays results
FC 17.5
CC 0.0
TC 17.5
PH 7.5
ALK 200 (thought it might have been done wrong during test)
CYA 90
WATER TEMP 82

Todays Results (one approx same time of day)
FC 20
CC 0.0
TC 20
PH 7.5
ALK 200 (same as yesterdays results)
CYA 80

Tonight after the test was done we added water to bring it up to the required level in the pool so the CYA should drop some( how many gallons did we add?...have no idea) . We have also have had a solar blanket on the pool since we had a run in with the algae problem a few weeks ago thus the high chlorine level. Is it worth adding some muriatic acid to bring the ALK level down if we will be closing the pool in a few weeks or just leave it alone? When we close the pool for the winter will the high ALK level affect the winter shocking and algae treatment.

Suggestions :?:

As you know your TA is high, but that isn't really a problem in a vinyl pool unless you have problems with the PH rising or you also have high CH levels. You should probably do the CH test to be sure, since with TA that high it wouldn't take all that much CH to cause problems.

Your CYA level is getting very high. You don't want that going up any further if you can help it. Remember that trichlor sticks/tablets/pucks raise CYA.

Hey Jason, My wife asked about checking the CH level when we did our water test earlier tonight and I told her no,of course she is sitting beside me saying ITYS! There are still pucks in the auto chlorinator we have. Should I close the flow off and just use it if we go away? To lower my CYA I need to put some muriatic acid into the water is this correct? My CYA target goal s/b 50-60 is this correct?We will check th CH level tomorrow. If its high what do I need to be doing to correct it ?

If your CH is 300 or higher you should lower your TA. This probably isn't an issue, since CH is probably under 300, but it is worth checking. To lower TA you add acid to bring the PH down to between 7.0 and 7.2 then aerate (using spa jets, a waterfall or fountain, turning a return up so it breaks the surface, kids playing, an air compressor, etc). When the PH comes back up measure the TA again and repeat as needed to get TA down to 120.

There are three things you can do about the high CYA level. Pick *one* of the following:
1) If you are closing soon then don't worry about it till next season
2) Stop using the auto chlorinator for the rest of the season (turn it off) and switch to using bleach
3) Replace water to lower the CYA level so you can continue using the auto chlorinator

Long term I suggest switching to bleach, since it doesn't add anything you don't need, but it does involve more carrying.

We added water to the pool tonight after the test to bring it back up to proper levels. Maybe we added enough to bring the CYA level down some. I will check it tomorrow evening and see as well as run the CH test to check those levels also. Where can we purchase muriatic acid? We have/are switching to the BBB method just trying to get used to it.

Not sure how scientific this is but this is what I did. I filled a 32oz Gatorade container with the pool water. I then slowly poured the water into the pool and counted. I then took my muriatic acid and counted to the same number and figured that is would be pretty darn close. If you not sure do a little less and retest in a few hours. You can always add a little more. Hope that helps.

Ls

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Tiz,

I know of a forum where many folks would shrink in horror at Lsbarkley's technique. Actually, I think it's not too bad. Missing your target by 10-15% or so is probably not a deal breaker. A little more accuracy is probably better, tho.

That said, you can use your wife's glass graduated measuring cup she keeps in the kitchen. It wont hurt a thing except your back........from sleeping outside on the ground.

LOL Duraleigh ! We have 6 dogs here of different size graduations so if I get caught I may try barganing with her and opt for the indoor dog house (cages). At least that way I will have blankets to curl up with. I was trying to think of something we could use, but if a glass measuring cup works I will get one from Wal mart and use it specificly for that purpose ..... I love my bed !! Thanks for the info ....

Just as an after thought ..... I would assume I need to completely remove the solar cover from the pool while I add the acid or can I just roll it back away fron the jet so I can pour the acid in the water? If so, how long does it need to stay off before I can recover the pool?

CH level

Jason, last night you had mentioned our CH level and I had my wife just check it because we are expecting rain here in GA this PM and I hate doing tests in the rain! Anyway our CH level was 300. I am going to HD after work to get some muriatic acid to add to the pool to bring down the TA levels. How long after we add the acid do I wait to do a test? I also asked earlie if I need to completely remove the solar cover or can I just fold it back away fron the inlet so I can pour the acid into the pool ??

You could add acid with the cover folded back near where you were pouring, but to lower your TA you will need to remove the cover. The goal is to get CO2 to outgas to the atmosphere, which can only happen when the water is exposed to the air.

Muriatic acid mixes fairly quickly with the pump running. I would give it half an hour to an hour to mix before retesting.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.