need input for a new pump

Jun 15, 2008
Patterson , LA
I have an above ground 30'x54" pool that came with a PLM 150 Sta rite canister filter with a 1.5HP JWP Sta Rite pump.
The motor is getting pretty loud and before I open the pool for the year I was going to just replace it. My filter unit sits a few feet away from the pool and is plumbed with flex PVC. After reading for hours on here I think the 1.5HP is way overkill. Could someone suggest a more efficient pump. I might install a SWG this year but has of right now the system only has that filter and a liquidator plumbed into it.
Thanks in advance

If you have a fairly simple set-up (1 skimmer and 1 return, 1.5" plumbing) you can get by just fine with a 1/2 or 3/4 hp full rated single speed pump.

Is your current pump set-up on 220-240 or 120v? You may also consider a 0.75 or 1hp 2-speed if the pool gets a lot of usage and you want to filter 24/7 on low speed.

Thanks for the suggestions guys... I have a 220v sub panel for the pool equipment and have an intermatic programmable timer that runs the current pump. I know the timer could run a two speed pump. Currently have 110v motor but could use a 240 no problem.
Yes I have 1.5" suction and return hoses. One simmer and one return, pretty basic set up. The filter actually has 2" in and out but are bushing down to 1.5".
Will a SWG such as a Goldline Aquarite run properly on low speed pump?

The liquidator has been a great purchase. I am thinking of switching to SWG over the liquidator to cut down on me and the wife lugging 24-30 gallons of bleach per month. My pool gets sunlight all day so we burn through some FC during the summer.

A gallon of bleach a day is a lot :shock: Something must be going on if you really are using that much (and unless you run your pump many hours a day a SWCG most likely won't keep up either). What is your CYA level and what kind of FC residual are you trying top maintain? You also might check the concentration of the bleach you are purchasing.

A SWCG might be an option, but please check and make sure it will do what you want before you make the purchase!

CYA is 40 and depending on how much rain and heat(South Louisiana) we are getting we can use up to a gallon of bleach a day. One gallon raises my FC by 4.5PPM.
No matter if I get a SWG this season or not I am going to try and raise the CYA slowly to see if it helps. With the liquidator I shoot for a FC of 3-4.
During the peak summer I run the pump 6 hours in the AM and then 6 hours in the evening. When we first start up i will back that down to around 3 and 3 or 4 and 4 hours depending in the temps.

My pool is about the same size as yours, I keep my CYA at 30-40, and I use a gallon of bleach (12.5%) a week in season. I keep a 4 ppm residual also, and run the pump 6 hours total.

What is the concentration you are buying? That does not change your desire for a SWCG, but I am just wondering since you consume so much.

Sorry; had to go to work!

Even with the low percentage, that is a lot of bleach. I would just double check an salt system that you are considering before purchasing so that you know it will maintain the level you want.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hayward, at least around here, is not real well received; more of a Leslie's brand pump.

I'll admit that I'm not a Hayward fan, but I have to ask; why would you not go with the industry leader (Pentair)? Put it in and let it run for the next ten years and be done with it :whoot: :goodjob:

Look at the WhisperFlo line (www.pentairpool.com) and see which one would work best for you. You may go with a single speed, depending on what you are trying to do, or look at the IntelliFlo pumps for variable/multi speed applications. Divide the gallons in your pool (I forgot how many you have :oops: ) by 360 (minutes in average 6 hour turnover) to get your gpm rate. Take into consideration what you will be asking the pump to do (Suction side pool cleaner, solar, etc.) as you look for the perfect pump!

After doing allot more reading and looking at pump curves I think I am going to go with a whisperflo pump. What I can't figure out is why in the world would a manf. bundle that 1.5HP pump with my filter? I mean the 1.5HP pump can flow up to 80ish-90GPM and the 1.5" lines can not handle that, plus the filter says better filtration with a flow rate of 55(i think ...it was in the 50's). My thinking is since I do not have water features, cleaning system, solar, etc that I could get away with a pump runing in the 50-60 range. If I could get a 2 speed pump that ran in that range on low that would be the quitest and most energy efficient way to go.
Does that sound right to you pump experts?

Just have to say that this forum is the best thing a pool owner could ever stumble across. The pool school is awesome and has helped me and my family enjoy our pool the last 3 years.

Your research is right :goodjob: 1.5" plumbing is limited in flow rate and anything over 3/4hp full rated is kind of exceeding the limits of the plumbing (especially with a single return), hence wasting energy. It won't harm things, it's just not that efficient. I'm not sure about your 2sp question, but I do run a 0.5hp single speed pentair superflo, which is pretty darn quiet, right next to the pool. Not sure how my pump compares to the wisperflo though.

Buyers who don't know better think that larger HP is better. They are wrong, but manufacturers don't bother to correct them and instead cater to that mis-understanding by offering large pumps. There is less sales friction and the manufacturer makes more money. Only months later, if ever, does the consumer realize that they are wasting/spending a lot on electricity.

JasonLion said:
Buyers who don't know better think that larger HP is better. They are wrong, but manufacturers don't bother to correct them and instead cater to that mis-understanding by offering large pumps. There is less sales friction and the manufacturer makes more money. Only months later, if ever, does the consumer realize that they are wasting/spending a lot on electricity.

That makes sense to me when you put it like that. If I only would have found this place before I bought my pool I would have done a couple things diff.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.