Dead heat pump - replace the whole thing, or is there hope?

Prav

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Hi, all!

Pictures may be needed later, but let me see if I can start the ball rolling...

The ancient heat pump I have seems to have seen its last day. The blades are all askew, what holds it at the top to the grill is all rusted out and barely hanging on. It was working till I turned it on yesterday and did nothing (I don't think it's a power/fuse/breaker issue). The rest of the unit does not seem to be in much better shape.

Several options:

(1a) Spend $3k and replace the whole thing with something presumably more energy efficient. Maybe even take advantage of that and do some replumbing (dual/variable speed pump? SWG?)...

(1b) Go solar - definitely will need some replumbing and addressing of issues: got the south-facing roof, at least 100sq ft, but (a) hurricanes/roofing code and (b) an eave that juts out about 18-24 inches which may make a pipe to the roof quite unsightly.

(2) Figuring that the coils/innards are in working order since I used it last week, replace the motor/blades. It looks like the top grill can be unscrewed and that whole assembly comes off - just needs to be plugged in to the rest of the unit. Problem with this: I have no idea what make/model I have (can't make anything out other than 85-1A or 85-18). Also, what defines the efficiency - that motor (which consumes electricity), the coils (which do the warming), or a combination?

If #2 is a $100-200 fix, great... otherwise, my water will remain cold until summer while I figure out best way to handle and wait for the money tree in my back yard to bloom.

Preliminary thoughts (pending some day that I can take a picture during the daytime - either pre-work or weekend).

Thanks.

What brand is it? It sound like it might just need a new fan and fan motor. On a heat pump, if the fan doesnt run, neither does the compressor. If the heat exchanger is still good and the compressor is good, and all thats' needed is a fan, then the cost shouldnt be more than a few hundred dollars.

BK - pics uploaded to flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/58998731@N03/with/5405624331/

Seems to be E-CO EN... (tm) based on the old, beat-up label that fell inside. Nothing really turned up on the internet, so maybe someone's seen it.

The pool is circa 1995, and I imagine the heat pump is from around that time - although since it is in a separate cement pad, it may have been added later. However, from the look of it, it seems to have been around when Ponce de Leon landed in Florida.

My FiL is pretty handy, so I'm sure that if it is replace fan, we can handle. Assuming compressor/heat exchanger are OK since it was working last week - not sure how efficiently, but at least efficiently enough so I 'don't have to spring for $3K. :shock:

BK:

Agree that it's fixable, but is the part generic? There's been no feedback here re: my possible brand/model. Of course, I could get a local PB to come on out (generally, for a fixed fee) and evaluate the situation. But so far my TFP experience has been great, and if there is anyone who could point in the right direction, I'm hoping it will be (no pun intended) more trouble-free than getting a PB involved.

You need for someone to look at it. No one can advise as to remedy until the failure is known. It could be the fan motor. It could be the compressor. It could be a relay. Your cost to repair could range from $20 to $3k, and virtually anywhere in between, but the only way to find out is to diagnose the unit, and someone will need to get their hands on it to do that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.