Controlling an Intelliflo VF with Jandy Aqualink

Jan 30, 2011
We recently bought a house with a pool that has a Jandy Aqualink / PDA and the main pool pump is an Intelliflo VF. The Jandy PDA was controlling everything properly, but several days ago the pool equipment lost power and it looks like some of the settings got reset. I figured out all of the AUX controls and re-assigned them to the Jandy PDA, but it no longer controls the Intelliflo pump, although the pump is turning on and off on its own internal schedule. I set the pump type on the PDA to the Intelliflo VF. I read the Intelliflo manual to see if it needed to be put in a special mode or something, and I did find the "external control" setting, but it won't let me set that mode which may be because the manual says it is for a connection to an IntelliComm and I have a Jandy?

Can anybody tell me how to let the Jandy control the pump? Is there a trick, or am I missing something?

Thanks!

I talked to Pentair who said that the Jandy should be able to control the Intelliflo through an Intellicomm Interface Module. But the Jandy seems to have been able to control it before the power failure without the module. Does anybody know the trick to get this to work without the Intellicomm?

Some models/versions of the firmware in the Jandy units can emulate a Pentair automation system from the pumps point of view, thus working even without an Intellicom module. However, this behavior is not supported by Pentair, who does not officially allow any other brand of equipment to directly control an IntelliFlo. Because of this lack of support, few people use the Jandy feature that directly controls an IntelliFlo, and thus few people are able to usefully comment on your problem.

I suggest trying to contact Jandy tech support, instead of Pentair tech support.

The PDA will communicate with the Intelliflo. It sounds like you are activating the pump with a relay. This is not necessary and may even be incorrect. The pump should wired to a constant power supply and the pump activated directly from the aqua link via the RS 485 communication cable.

I can't recall the exact process but it's all in the PDA manual and also the aqualink menus are pretty intuitive. First up disconnect the communication cable at the pump and set up the pump as pump 1. Note this step may not be necessary for single pump systems. Then reconnect the pump and go to the. Aqualink system set up menus and set up the variable speed drive pump for pump model, pump application, minimum and maximum speed and speed settings.

I've been using the aqualink intelliflo combination since mid December without any issues.

+1
I have had the same combo for about 8 months with no issues... There is programming in the PDA where you pick the VS pump you are using. If it was working before you may not have to rewire anything. mcoccia is right though, you need constant power to the pump, the programming will start/stop the pump and change speeds, not the relay.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.