Pump seized.

perryy

Aug 7, 2007
NC
My pump has been slow to start recently and now will not go at all. Just hums. i talked with my irrigation guy, who has lots of pump experience, and he advised that while it could probably be repaired, it may be time to get a new pump due to the age of this one. I've had the house/pool for 5 years and have no idea how many years old the pump was when I got it. Pump is Hayward 3/4 hp that looks like the current Super Pump. I'm inclined to order a 3/4 hp Hayward Super Pump, about $300.
Any thoughts?

It does sound like it may be time for a new pump. If you are happy with Hayward then it is o.k. to stick with that brand. I would advise a two speed over single speed, then you could run low speed for filtering and high speed for vacuuming. You may be able to find a 3/4 hp two speed that would serve your purpose well.

While you are switching out the pump this would be a good time to reassess your plumbing and pad set up in case there is anything you would like to tweek/change. Maybe add a cut off valve or a waste line before the filter, that kind of thing.

Re: Pump seized

The shaft is locate on the back of the motor in the middle, it could either have a flat cap or a cap that looks like I big nut.. Like Scott said it could be a start capacitor if the motor has been on and humming if you touch it and it's warm that what it is most of the time..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.