Softwater Pool vs Calicum Hardness

jwgillis

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 18, 2008
Yuma, AZ
I have a 14,800 gallon fiberglass inground pool with a Spa overflow and a SWG. The water in the Pool is SOFTWATER (water for pool goes through my home softwater system) which requires me to add a calicum hardness increaser every 90 days to maintain a 200-220 calicum level. TFP recommends the 200-220 calicum hardness level to prevent damage to the gel-coat of a fiberglass pool. My question follows:

Does the fact that my pool contains softwater have any effect on maintaining the 200-220 calicum hardness level?

Yes, but only in the obvious way. The soft water system takes out calcium and replaces it with small amounts of salt. You then need to manually add some of the calcium back in. The end result is nearly the same as if your water was naturally soft, except that you end up with a little extra salt.

Ideally you want to fill the pool with a mixture of softened water and untreated water, so you don't need to manually add calcium, but the difference is small enough that it isn't worth any significant extra effort if doing so is in any way difficult. I hope that makes sense.

Or you could add some Cal-Hypo shock once a week. I use the rule of thumb as followed: For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by 7 ppm. The experts would have to fill you in on the bad things Cal-Hypo add in addition.

Thank you by the way. I think you solved my Calcium build up problem. I am off to buy a small watersoftner for my fill line.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.