Best Solar for Pool

I have Aquasol panels, made by Solar Depot. They've done well.

Give us some details about your pool, climate and how much room you have for panels and what direction the roof faces.

JohnT said:
Give us some details about your pool, climate and how much room you have for panels and what direction the roof faces.

I would add it would be helpful to also know if they will be roof mounted (then roof type - shingle, tile, metal) or could they be on a ground rack (roof direction is then less important, but takes up yard space, etc.).

Would also help to know details about pump and plumbing size, distance, etc. as being part of the pool details JohnT asked for - like square feet of water surface (asked for clarification - if needed).

There are manuals from the panel OEMs that can be found through Google (or whatever) that should be read, and the Florida Solar Energy Research Center has several documents worth a read as well (if you didn't already know).

I have 250 sq ft of self-installed Heliocol panels, only one year in service, but so far quite a good experience. They (heliocol) have some distinct advantages if you are in a high wind area, but otherwise I think some FAFCO products tend to have slightly higher efficiency ratings. BTW, independently tested and verified ratings for many brands can be found at the solar site above.

They will be roof mounted. I have plenty of roof space and it is south facing. The pool is a free form 23x43 pool with about 35,000 gallons. Southern California, specifically in Corona, CA. It can get pretty windy were I live.
I have 2" plumbing that I have pre plummed to the area. My pump is a VS3050.

FWIW for diy work, I have been using the ebay ones, and have had really good luck with them, it's a decent way to save some serious money. For roof mounting, make sure you do all the math for pump power and the drain systems, etc.

I have Aquatherm Ecosun Solar panels and they seem to do great. We have had then about 10 mths and can't believe that we would be able to live without them. I did some research and quotes on the 3 most popular ones, Fabsfo, Helicoil, and Aquatherm, however the installer gave me a lifetime transferable guarantee on the solar panels and protection from roof leaks. I could not pass up on this. Look at the sig bar to see our solar install.

I mentioned the wind issue since the Florida wind load building code for coastal installations in my area requires hurricane-rated installs (130mph). However, don't think So Cal bldg codes require hurricane force wind considerations.

Given a major brand, I would let a warranty/cost benefit analysis drive the decision.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.