Dog Days of Winter

bk406

Dec 3, 2009
Central Massachusetts
For those of us who close the pool for the winter, I thought it might be interesting to post a picture or two of our pools and what they look like in the dog days of winter.
Here's mine. That little dark patch you see in all that snow is my Loop-loc. Thats the very edge of the coping. Three feet of snow, or there abouts. Middle of the cover is sitting on top of the pool water, er, ice.

poolsnow.jpg

There is likely a good foot if not more of ice in ther supporting that weigh too :goodjob:

Nice thread BK...I'm gonna have to go find the camera now :shock: Although I think you have me beat on total accumulation

dmanb2b said:
There is likely a good foot if not more of ice in ther supporting that weigh too :goodjob:

Last time I popped the cover to take a look was right after christmas. I pump out 3 inches of water from the fall rains and brought the water level down about 15 inches or so below the coping and it was just starting to freeze over. As cold as it's been, I'm sure the ice is close to a foot thick. That much ise holds a lot of weight. Thats why they tell you not to tighten the straps "drum" tiight. I dug out a few of the straps and looked at the springs. They are about 1/2 to 3/4 compacted, so I figure the center of the cover is sitting right on top of the ice.

That snow on there was just what we have gotten in the last 3 weeks. On New years day, there might have been an inch or so on it.

Hate is such a strong word :cool:

I'm sorry guys; maybe I should retract that post. I didn't mean to cause any problems.......

I think I might head over and see Beez; he's supposed to be in the mid 70's today also :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
k...you are right Bruce "Hate" is too strong :oops: That type of language is really meant for folks who are at the beach right now :goodjob: :cheers:

JK...salp :mrgreen:

Anyway...here is my little slice of paradise...please excuse me while I go pick the salt granules out of my boots :shock: ...and no, I am not balancing my pool water with it either :cry:

IMG_2987.jpg

IMG_2990.jpg

Beez said:
Haaa...yeah I'm wearing a tee shirt. :-D We'd luv to have you, Bruce... beer and brats 'til you puke if you can make it... :p

Johnsonville??! I might be able to make it by dark if I drive REALLY fast :cool:

One day I think all of us here should have a party and hang out (just not in places like where bk and dman live-that is just too cold! It does look pretty though.). I'm starting to sweat a little now, so I think I'll take the computer back inside and cool off for a while......

simicrintz said:
Johnsonville??! I might be able to make it by dark if I drive REALLY fast :cool:
Is there any other? Grilled outside by the pool of course! :-D

BTW, watch out for the state troopers along those desolate stretches...they are known to appear out of knowhere...

Beez said:
simicrintz said:
Is there any other? Grilled outside by the pool of course! :-D

BTW, watch out for the state troopers along those desolate stretches...they are known to appear out of knowhere...

"Respect the van kids"..."we are on our way to visit Beez's" :wave:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.