auto filler

Jan 27, 2011
I recently discovered a leak in the brass valve of my auto filler ( the float valve type like in a toilet tank), it would leak ( spraying a fine mist strait up from the top of the brass valve) only when the valve was open and the water was filling. Called my pool guy who came to replace the valve and when he removed it found the pvc pipe it was screwed into was stripped. This all occurred after a hard freeze I dont know if that caused it or if he accidently stripped it but thats where I am now. It was not leaking from that point before I checked it closely when I noticed the leak. He's not sure what to do now Im not sure I trust him now. Any suggestions on how to proceed with repair.

thanks , chris

having technical difficulties with picture, but the filler valve attaches to the side of the bucket. It seems the part the filler valve screws into is a molded part attached to the bucket that sticks out about a quarter to half an inch. The fresh water in line must be attacked to this somewhere under the pool decking. I assume when they were trying to put on the new valve they cross threaded it and striped the threads as it was not leaking from this connection before. The female receptor on the bucket is 3/4 inch I have had one proposal to "fix" it by boring it out to 1 inch, rethreading it and using a valve with 1 inch coupler which will thin the female receptor quite a bit. My concern is that if its too thin it may fail under the force of the fresh water pressure. I suspect to do it right I'll have to bust out some of the decking around the filler bucket cut the line in and out of the bucket, and put on a new bucket with good threads and reconnect it and re deck it. Just looking for opinions/options before I go to that expense.
thanks, chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.