Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump run time and noise?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump run time and noise?

Does the filter pump need to run for 24 hrs/day for a FG pool? If not, what are the typical run times. The reason for asking is that the noise factor will determine the location of my equipment. If I can only run the pump during the day, then I can put the equipment near a bedroom window. If the pump needs to run 24/7, then I will need to locate it away from the house.
    what do the experts say?

Thanks,

Lee
    Lee
    10200 gal 12x24 IG vinyl, Dual Main Drains, Sta Rite System 3 cartridge filter, 1.5 HP pump, Zodiac LM3 SWCG, Letro Platinum w/booster, Colorlogic, Spraydeck, Deck jets, Oasis 36" Arch Waterfall, custom built BBQ island

2. Back To Top    #2
    How long you need to run the pump varies with the size of the pump relative to the size of the pool. Typically builders try to size the pump so that it is run between 8 and 12 hours a day, but there can be substantial variation from there. Another consideration is time of day electrical rates. Some utility companies charge more for electricity during the day than at night.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    What Jason said. Also, a couple of other considerations. Don't let them sell you an oversized pump. It doesn't keep your pool cleaner, it costs more to operate, and it's louder. Most fiberglass pools can probably get by with a 1Hp or 3/4HP pump. Also, don't let them pour a concrete pad that is in physical contact with the house foundation, to prevent sound from being coupled in through the foundation.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4
    Another consideration is to get a pump that runs quietly. There are several pumps made nowadays that are marketed as quiet pumps (pentair whisperflo). I have a pentair intelliflo that sits right outside our dining room window and I can barely hear it when it's running. Also, I only run it 8 hrs/day.
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

Be sure to use a poured concrete pad, not a prefab one. I made this mistake when I relocated the equipment pad a year or two ago. The equipment now sits on one of those lightweight prefab pads like air conditioning condensers often use and it's noisy. While the main pump is one of the newer, quieter ones, the booster pump is really loud. I may replace that pad with a concrete one just to drop a few dB's off the loudness.

Also, if I do replace the pad, I'm going to make it larger so I can build an enclosure around it to further reduce the noise.
    blubluenoiseise

My pool: 14,750 gallons in-ground plaster
    FAFCO Solar panels (seven 4' x 12') with a Goldline automatic controller
    1/2 HP WhisperFlo filter pump, Kreepy Krauly cleaner, Cartridge Filter
    Aquarite SWG, Satisfied user of the TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6
    Just to add what has already been said, 2 speed and variable speed pumps (Intelliflo) can run at lower speeds which are much quieter than a full speed pump. So I would consider either one.

You are better off running 24 hrs at half speed than 12 hours at full speed. Filters work better, water is constantly circulated and energy consumption is less.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

Wow! Thanks for the great info and quick responses.

Hopefully I can soon contribute, instead of just asking questions.
    Lee
    10200 gal 12x24 IG vinyl, Dual Main Drains, Sta Rite System 3 cartridge filter, 1.5 HP pump, Zodiac LM3 SWCG, Letro Platinum w/booster, Colorlogic, Spraydeck, Deck jets, Oasis 36" Arch Waterfall, custom built BBQ island

8. Back To Top    #8

Lee,

I just answered your post on Water World and wanted to chime in on FG run times. I have the 14 x 32 free form pool with slope to 6'. It is about 9500 gallons. I also have a SWG. I run my pump approx 5 hrs a day and have had no issues with my water. The only problem is when I treated stains that knocked my Chlorine to zero and allowed algae breakout. That was the only time I shocked my pool water all summer. There are many variables but that is what I have found works best for me. I run my pump 11am to 4pm because I use a heat pump and that works best in the warmest part of the day.

Ls
    14 x 32 Fiberglass Pool 10K gal. Hayward Pump and Sand Filter. Autopilot SWG Dig 48 and Heat Siphon 3.25sx Heat Pump.

The Pool Calculator
    Chlorine/CYA Chart by Chemgeek

9. Back To Top    #9

Isbarkley,

I think you could get a bit more out of your heat pump if you ran the filter a bit later than 11-4. I don't know exactly where you live in Jersey but typically the maximum temperture occurs later than most people think. I grabbed this graph of Cherry Hill, NJ from 9/10/07 off of www.wunderground.com. It show that the maximum temperture occured at about 4pm. If you ran your pump from 1:30-6:30 you would straddle the temperture peak a bit more.

Kevin
    Attached Images Attached Images
    11000 Gals, Intelliflo, Sta-Rite Cartridge, Polaris 360

Pool I built in my old house: my-new-pool-build-t4534.html

10. Back To Top    #10

OK, now I am a little confused. The heat pump is run during the warmest part of the day? The goal here is to lower the water temp?

Pool maint must have really changed since I was a teen.
    Lee

11. Back To Top    #11
    I believe he means that if the filter pump is run during hours that straddle the peak temp time, that the water will be warmer circulating during that time so the heat pump won't have to work as hard.
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits

12. Back To Top    #12

I agree with the charts but my main direct sun is during that time and have found I get more heat in the direct sun than the shade hours....not sure how scientific it is though.

Ls
    14 x 32 Fiberglass Pool 10K gal. Hayward Pump and Sand Filter. Autopilot SWG Dig 48 and Heat Siphon 3.25sx Heat Pump.

The Pool Calculator
    Chlorine/CYA Chart by Chemgeek