Newbie Getting Ready To Have Pool Installed

Jan 26, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Hello,
First off, I must say I'm glad I found this site before I signed anything with any pool companies. We got 3 bids and they are all pretty similar in pricing and features (although one PB wants to sell us the Nature2, which after reading through this site, I've decided I won't be getting that). I have a couple questions and would love to hear any feedback.

1. Surface Type - Two of the PB are selling the PebbleTec line (Tec, Sheen, Fina), but the PB I'm leaning towards uses Stonescape/QuartzScape from NPT:

http://www.nptgonline.com/nptg_national/quartzscapes_main.html

We would likely choose the QuartzScape as we want a smooth surface. Does anyone have any experience and/or recommendations on QuartzScape?

2. SWG/Ozone - It seems the general consensus from many people on this site are to go with a SWG in conjunction with consistent water testing and using the BBB method. A couple of the PB are recommending Ozone as well (not as the only sanitizer), but most on this site say it's not worth it. We are having a 7' spa put in with the pool, so would there be any benefit to having Ozone with the spa, or perhaps dedicated to return on the spa?

Also, from the some of the PB have told me, the SWG would reduce the amount of chlorine I'd need to put in the pool but it wouldn't eliminate the need to add additional chlorine. Do those of you with a SWG have to add additional chlorine?

Thanks in advance for any feedback. I'll be happy to post pictures once we get started.
-Mark

Attachments

• pooldesign.jpg
    pooldesign.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 512
Welcome to TFP.

With an outdoor pool & spa the ozone won't be any help.

If you maintain the balance in your pool and you buy an SWCG large enough for your pool size, you won't have to add extra chlorine except when the water temp gets low enough to stop the gererator from generating chlorine.

Welcome to TFP...what Bama said and I'll add that the SWG if properly sized should easily take care of your daily chlorine demand. The only time you will manually need to add chlorine is when you shut the SWG off (as Dave mentioned) or when trying to shock the pool. That's it.

So, in a way the PB is right, but it's not a big deal :goodjob: The SWG should take care of at least 90% of your chlorine needs and adding an ozone system will not change that.

Good luck with the build!

If you want smooth plaster, and a warranty behind it, go with the Fina. If you want to have a certified and trained applicator, go with the Fina. If you want a product that has been around for a long time, and that has tight quality control and is formulated so that you could get it patched later down the road, if necessary, and have a fighting chance of it matching, get the Fina.

I don't work for P-Tec, but I do know the product line very well. The NPTG product is nowhere near the product of P-Tec, nor do they require any applicator training or accountability. Anyone in the pool business can buy and install it. Any PB can have any plasterer plaster their pools that they build, so there is no reason that you can't get P-Tec from the guy that doesn't use it (is his bid lower than the other 2 by any chance?). It is your pool and you should get what you want, not what the PB gets from his buddy and tries to put in your pool!

Congrats on your decision to build a new pool!

Thank you for your replies!

As for the PB using Quartzscape, his bid isn't the lowest, but supposedly they do 80-90% of the work in-house, whereas the other PB use sub-contractors for most of their work. This PB also uses Pentair (Sta-Rite) equipment and the other two use Jandy. I've used Pentair in previous pools I've had and had no issues. If the Fina is that much better, then I'll insist he use that. I'd rather pay a little more now for something that will last longer.

Just noticed your location (I know the P-Tec applicator there, so if I can be of any help, PM me. I'll be in Vegas the second weekend of February, and I'll be seeing the plasterer when I'm there also).

There are two schools of thought with in house outfits. They hire and retain the best guys, or they have A, B and C crews and you have no choice of which one you actually get. The guys that sub either sub to the best and control them (or cut them loose if they don't perform) or they hire based on pay and you get what they produce.

I used to build for an in house guy. Some of the crews did phenomenal work, and some were just okay. I later built for a guy who used subs. He demanded a lot from the subs and always got great work. The jobs (few) that I build anymore are all subs, but they know what I expect and that I will not use them again or will call them on the mat if they try and pull something that isn't quite right.

If you can afford to do Fina, I would try and go that route. You will be happy in the end, and if I can help please let me know.

Please keep in mind that you will get what you pay for. I know the economy is tough and we're all looking for ways to save money, but rarely does the lowest bidder fulfill expectations. There are lots of threads on this forum related to exactly that. Get a good value for your money. My personal experience with most all products is that the best value lies somewhere in the middle of the price range. You're going to see/use this pool every day for the next 10-20 years, so don't make it a daily regret! Good luck!

My Pool Builder is not a fan of the Quartz Plaster since 3M quit making it.

I saw a Pebble Fina Sample today. It did seem very smooth, but a little boring. I think we are still going with a "mini" pebble similar to Pebble Sheen.

Ranger987 said:
Please keep in mind that you will get what you pay for. I know the economy is tough and we're all looking for ways to save money, but rarely does the lowest bidder fulfill expectations. There are lots of threads on this forum related to exactly that. Get a good value for your money. My personal experience with most all products is that the best value lies somewhere in the middle of the price range. You're going to see/use this pool every day for the next 10-20 years, so don't make it a daily regret! Good luck!

Totally agree with you. We're not looking for the lowest bidder, but rather the biggest bang for our buck. I also want to make sure I don't waste money on things I don't need, like ozone, minerals, etc. I'm just doing a lot of research right now so I know what questions to ask when I go back to a PB to finalize the contract. I've owned homes with pools before but I've never had one built, and there's a lot to it!

Well our pool was started last month so I thought I post some pics of the build.

[attachment=2:26o9577g]IMAG0366.jpg[/attachment:26o9577g]
[attachment=1:26o9577g]IMAG0490.jpg[/attachment:26o9577g]
[attachment=0:26o9577g]IMAG0562.jpg[/attachment:26o9577g]

Attachments

• IMAG0366.jpg
    IMAG0366.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 349
  • IMAG0490.jpg
    IMAG0490.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 348
  • IMAG0562.jpg
    IMAG0562.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 349

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here are more pics

[attachment=2:1jzmdcsy]IMAG0673.jpg[/attachment:1jzmdcsy]
[attachment=1:1jzmdcsy]IMAG0674.jpg[/attachment:1jzmdcsy]
[attachment=0:1jzmdcsy]IMAG0684.jpg[/attachment:1jzmdcsy]

Attachments

• IMAG0673.jpg
    IMAG0673.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 348
  • IMAG0674.jpg
    IMAG0674.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 347
  • IMAG0684.jpg
    IMAG0684.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 347
Shotcrete was done last week.

[attachment=2:2r36ukkp]IMAG0701.jpg[/attachment:2r36ukkp]
[attachment=1:2r36ukkp]IMAG0698.jpg[/attachment:2r36ukkp]
[attachment=0:2r36ukkp]IMAG0704.jpg[/attachment:2r36ukkp]

Attachments

• IMAG0701.jpg
    IMAG0701.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 349
  • IMAG0698.jpg
    IMAG0698.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 347
  • IMAG0704.jpg
    IMAG0704.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 348
Here are a few more pics. The tile and stacked stone are done. This week, they should be pouring the concrete/finishing the decking. PB says 2-3 weeks tops to completion. Just in time for the Vegas summer!

[attachment=2:2pqpje25]IMAG0742.jpg[/attachment:2pqpje25]
[attachment=1:2pqpje25]IMAG0756.jpg[/attachment:2pqpje25]
[attachment=0:2pqpje25]IMAG0896.jpg[/attachment:2pqpje25]

Attachments

• IMAG0742.jpg
    IMAG0742.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 229
  • IMAG0756.jpg
    IMAG0756.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 227
  • IMAG0896.jpg
    IMAG0896.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 228
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.