Pool cleaner recommendations?

Aug 23, 2010
I'm looking to save some time on my weekly pool cleaning task (I currently do it manually). What I determined so far, is that I would probably want one that is powered by the pool pump. I don't have a whole lot of debris on my pool floor (mainly some leaves). It also doesn't matter too much if the cleaning is slow; I would just drop the cleaner in the pool about once a week. My pool is medium sized at roughly 16000 gallons and gradually drops off from 3 feet to about 8 feet, so the cleaner should be able to climb that hill. I also want it to be gentle on the plaster since I just replastered the pool last summer and don't want to do that again any time soon.

Any suggestions on what to get?

Thanks so much!!

Just bought a 4 wheel suction cleaner for around $550 from Pool Plaza. I had to purchase the tires for a vinyl pool for $100 the unit comes with tires for concrete/plaster. I have not received it yet, once I do I will try to repost and let you know how it works.

jasonknox said:
Just bought a 4 wheel suction cleaner for around $550 from Pool Plaza. I had to purchase the tires for a vinyl pool for $100 the unit comes with tires for concrete/plaster. I have not received it yet, once I do I will try to repost and let you know how it works.

Why would you have to spend $100.00 more for vinyl when all you have to do is specify what surface you have... There is no up charge for that.

I guess they got me Sal. They did not indicated that I had the option to request that. Shame on them.

I called pool plaza and asked why they did not sell me a unit with the proper tires and they indicated that they did not know that they had a choice. That is scary. I pointed them to another website that does give you a choice and pointed out that if I did not get a credit for the tires I bought I would be returning the unit as soon as I received it. They have agreed to credit my account but I do not think that I will use the unit until I see the credit. What a hassle. I really have a low tolerance for companies that do not train employees in the products that they sell.

Thanks Sal!

I received and installed my cleaner (The Poolcleaner 4wheel suction) and let it run over night. I woke up to a sparkling clean pool. It even picked up the leaves that were being drawn in by the main drain. As of two days in I am very pleased with my purchase.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
jasonknox said:
I received and installed my cleaner (The Poolcleaner 4wheel suction) and let it run over night. I woke up to a sparkling clean pool. It even picked up the leaves that were being drawn in by the main drain. As of two days in I am very pleased with my purchase.

Nice :goodjob:

jasonknox said:
I guess they got me Sal. They did not indicated that I had the option to request that. Shame on them.

I called pool plaza and asked why they did not sell me a unit with the proper tires and they indicated that they did not know that they had a choice. That is scary. I pointed them to another website that does give you a choice and pointed out that if I did not get a credit for the tires I bought I would be returning the unit as soon as I received it. They have agreed to credit my account but I do not think that I will use the unit until I see the credit. What a hassle. I really have a low tolerance for companies that do not train employees in the products that they sell.

Thanks Sal!

Just doing my due diligence here while looking for a pool cleaner. I don't see an option anywhere for the at the pool plaza. Can you point me to that site where it is?

mrpunchy said:
jasonknox said:

Thanks Sal!

Just doing my due diligence here while looking for a pool cleaner. I don't see an option anywhere for the at the pool plaza. Can you point me to that site where it is?

You probably need to call them, it is a special order, so it might take a couple extra days, but it should be the same price.

You should not pay any increase for differenct pool surfaces...

mrpunchy said:
jasonknox said:

Thanks Sal!

For the life of me I can not find the website that asked what type of pool surface you had during the ordering process of the cleaner. I will keep looking and let you know.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.