Sounds like I should cancel the Nature2 and go SWG

Nightmare

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 21, 2011
Riverside, CA
I've been reading this forum for about 3 hours now today. I thought we had just about everything figured out on the pool equipment, but now I'm not so sure.

I think I am ok with the Pump, Filter, Gas Heater and Control system. The Skimmers and return lines are in and the gunite is done, so nothing changing there. I'm questioning the choice of Del Ozone and the Nature2 System.

I have not seen anyone that likes the Nature2 System on TFP. JasonLion has a post about the Ozone system being ok for a Spa, but just about useless for a Pool.

I can't recall the talk I had with the PB when we settled on the Nature2. I think we even changed the Coping since that decision. Current setup should be:

Pebble Finish Plaster
Still undecided on the Water Line Tiles (probably ceramic, maybe glass)
Poured Concrete Cantilevered Coping
Colored and Stamped Concrete Decking
Belgard Pavers also near the pool

I think we might want to ditch the Nature2 and switch to the Jandy Aqua Pure SWG.

It doesn't sounds like the salt in the SWG will harm the concrete (I think we had flagstone in the original design, so that may be the reason for the Nat2). I don't want to sacrifice the lifespan of the pool or equipment for a little less maintenace, but I don't want to spend a bunch of time every day messing with the pool chemicals.

A friend of a friend had a SWG system several years back and it was a disaster (but so are they). One family member has a saltwater pool, I haven't been back there recently to take a close look at their equipment and the condition of the pool.

Is there another "system" I should consider? I'm going to try and read some of the BBB info, but I think my brain is full.

Copper staining is a very real possibility with the nature 2 on any concrete, plaster/tiled pool. On a vinyl liner pool there is much less chance of a problem but why do you need it? what will it achieve over and above chlorine?

I am not a fan of Nature2. It doesn't help much, if at all, and risks problems. On the other hand, I really like SWGs. They are easy to use and tend to have fewer problems than the alternatives. The majority of the people here at TFP appear to agree with me on both of those assessments, though there is a large group that skips the SWG and add chlorine manually.

SWG levels of salt in the water do not cause any problems as long as you don't have any relatively soft natural stone in or around the pool. The slightly raised salt level used with SWGs actually improves the feel of the water.

For an outdoor residential pool, I don't see any point in considering anything beyond a SWG. Outdoor residential pools are simple to operate as long as you have some basic knowledge and a good test kit. Adding anything else, like ozone, UV, Nature2, copper, silver, etc adds complexity, raises costs, increases the risk of something going wrong, and provide little benefit. Indoor and community/public pools have additional challenges, which often call for additional equipment, but outdoor residential pools are simple and inexpensive to operate.

I have a SWG and like it with no problems for 5+ years. Wether you go BBB or a SWG setup the key is keeping your water balanced. Doing your own testing with a good test kit will make life easier. Over time you get to know what you need and when, without really thinking about it. Manage the pool and don't let the pool manage you. Following the advice given here will allow you to have a TFP and enjoy it.

Jason's quick!

we have Hard Water here. In case that changes anything.
No. it doesn't. BBB i simply a method of understanding and testing your pool and knowing what to do with the test results.

Once you gain a little more knowledge, you will probably not even consider the Nature2, as JasonLion says, will only add complexity and expense to your pool and offer little, if any, benefit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.