New pool owner getting pool re-plastered and need some help.

jmstr

Nov 4, 2010
I am new to TFP and need some advise. I have hired a contractor to re-plaster my pool and so far, the pool has been drained. They will clean the tile and fix a few cracked tiles under the water fountain. With the pool drained, this gave me an opportunity to snap a couple of photos of an item I have questions with. Perhaps you all could help me with some answers:

There is one hole in the pool for a cleaner. I took the photo of this to Leslie's and they said it was threaded and hole sized for a pressure cleaner (polaris), not a suction cleaner. However, it is a suction hole because the plumbing points to it being a suction type of setup. Also, with the pump running, I can feel that it is strongly sucking in water. So I am not sure what to think here. Can someone explain this to me?

Here are photos of this hole and the pool in general. Not a major remodel but it the pool should be nice for the kids by summer :) Thanks in advanced for all your help. I will most likely have more questions when its time to maintain the pool. Sorry for no information in my signature yet. I have yet to inventory all the equipment type I have. The re-plaster work will start on Monday. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. Thanks.

5377813967_6e2f954def.jpg

5378414456_7c65afa9f9.jpg

5378414552_0ee21b024c.jpg

5378414320_c8d5b17854.jpg

5378414018_d1a843dbb7.jpg

5377813751_2a8c9e3864.jpg

5378413946_3e64d9b7bc.jpg

5378414260_2b56c8a6ca.jpg

5378413876_daaf29ab9a.jpg

5377813385_b94e5e6d36.jpg

Welcome to TFP!!

Do you have a skimmer? (I don't see one in the pics - BTW THANKS for the pics!!!! :goodjob: )

You have 2 suction lines and a return line and a line that I can see is labeled 'waterfall'. Sounds like you do indeed have a suction port and mayhaps the invisible skimmer is tied to the MD (I don't like that sort of setup... but it is what it is :| )

Did they pressure test the lines? (if you have a broken pipe/ connection, you need to address that before the new plaster is done :hammer: )

I'm here most afternoons to further help you, and the other folks here are OK :p :wink: )

Thanks for your feedback, Ted.

I do have a skimmer (Last pic at the shallow end of the pool, middle left). You are correct in the suction lines (Skimmer & Cleaner) and return lines (Pool and Waterfall). Any ideas about the cleaner connector in the pool? Since the plumbing is for suction, should the opening not have threads and the hole bigger?

What does MD stand for? I am not all familiar with all the pool lingo's just yet :)

Line pressure never came up so I will ask the pool company about it on Monday.

Here are more photos showing the skimmer inlet and the waterfall close up. Any observations or advice is welcomed:

5379110268_eb6ee6c243.jpg

5378509909_91034eb582.jpg

5378510103_bec833a28d.jpg

5379110112_3b86863e18.jpg

MD is a Main Drain, usually found at the bottom of the deep end.

Having a side suction is not uncommon. I assume it's at the half way point of the pool. Without a self closing cover, this type of suction line is a serious entrapment risk. For safety's sake, have them put a self closing cover on it.

When and if you get a pool sweep, I have heard The Pool Cleaner gets top marks for suction side cleaners. I have no affiliation with them, don't sell them but know some fellow techs I have real respect for do rave about them.

Scott

Thank-you, Scott.

You are correct, the side suction is half way (under the fern). I can see how it can be dangerous as you mentioned. I will see about getting a for when a cleaner is not plugged in. Thanks for the sound advice.

As for the The Pool Cleaner, it looks to be a good one. My search on this site resulted in mostly praises for it. I also see that there is a Palaris ATV F7 available as a suction side cleaner and for about half the price as The Pool Cleaner. The Polaris doesn't get rave reviews like as the Pool Cleaner so I will have to think about it some more and weight the pros and cons.

Thanks again.

The plaster company should be replacing all plastic as part of their scope of work. This is typical (here anyway) and covers both parties. The vac fitting, drain covers, and return eyeballs, if present, should all be part of the job.

The Pool Cleaner is the best cleaner I have had in 15 years being in the business, and almost 20 years as a pool owner. I am usually given pool cleaners to try, but I purchased The Pool Cleaner myself, and I have not been disappointed. It is hands down the best cleaner (and I've had them all) I have ever owned, and the only one I recommend anymore.

Thanks for your input Bruce. I think I will get the Pool Cleaner. I only hear good things about it.

So far so good on the replaster work. The only thing I am a bit disappointed with is that the tile cleaning didn't help make the tiles as clean as I had hoped. Grouts are clean though. Other than that, the pool has been prepped and ready for plaster probably tomorrow. Here are pics:

5387463417_132d899d68.jpg

5387462943_f949b60a38.jpg

getting a diamond brite surface?

check out the startup suggestions

few months ago I paid for a water filtration service that was hooked up over the weekend while pool filled up, completely mineral/chemical free, kept pH around 7.2 first 30 days and added just liquid bleach for the first few days. slowly adjusted the remaining chemicals and I ran (still do..) the pump 24 hours/day (set on ultralow speed at 95 watts/850 rpm).

brushed daily, ran no cleaners in the pool for 2 months.

I added baking soda and borate slowly over a 1 week period. The last item to balance was Cyanuric Acid and it took almost 2 months before I reached 50 on CYA test.

Thanks Susa. I will have to get familiar with the startup procedure now. Not sure what or how much startup my pool guys will do.

I am putting in Altima custom Tahoe Blue plaster. I'm hoping that would look nice.

I like my Pool Cleaner - But I'd definitely go with the 4 wheel. The 2 wheel will have a tendency to roll back in your free form pool. (mine does anyways)

It'll come with a threaded 1 1/2 inch self closing port at well - so it'll take care of that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.