Setting IntelliFlow VF to run at specific Flow Rate and RPM

susa

Oct 31, 2010
Deep South
I have two(2) primary daily FILTER cycles defined in the programming.

First one runs from 0600 to 1159 and the next one from 1800 to 2359

Since the FILTER menu uses the POOL DATA parameters, the pump runs automatically in the slowest possible speed to achieve the turnover based on the gallons etc. etc. etc.

In these two currently defined programs, the pump runs at 15 GPM and ~1050 RPM or less

No problem or questions on any of that detail, just needed to explain that it was/is all working as expected.

Now to the question:

What is the easiest way to run one of the two programs at a higher Flow Rate/RPM ?

Based on my understanding the manual, I would have to use either FEATURE 1 or 2 which do not affect the FILTER mode programming .... or .... I can use FEATURE 3--9 which do modify the FILTER programming.

Also, MO Flow (Modulated Output Flow) appears to duplicate this same function and has a Set Interval and Set Runtime parameters.

Again, my qoal is simply to run one or the currently defined 6 hour programs at a higher Flow Rate/RPM, what might be the easiest method to achieve this?

FWIW, the reason I am now studying this setup is that the Macromatic Current Control Relay will only turn on the IC40 transformer at 20 GPM or higher and based on automatic pool data (as calculated by the FILTER mode and POOL DATA parameters) the two 6 hour programs run only at 15 GPM and the IC40 is not turned on. This is all desired behavior and dialed into the Macromatic programming as I do not want to run the IC40 at such low flowrate.

no need to purchase anything as the VF programming contains all needed elements.

after study of the manual and experimenting with the computer, it appears one can not use the Modulated Output Function to run anything above 00:10 (or 10 minutes) while the Interval function is flexible.

the Features 1,2 are programmable to allow a 06:00 Runtime which appears to count down if the Feature 1,2 button is pressed at a rate of 20 GPM.

now, if Feature 1,2 button is pressed (the next Feature button is for Features 3--9), how does one switch over to Filter Function?

if I press Filter when Feature 1,2 is running, it drops from Feature mode (20 GPM) into Filter mode (15 GPM).

perhaps the Feature Mode is just a one time run or does it automatically repeat and switch to Filter Mode when done?

The feature mode is normally triggered from the outside, though you can of course trigger it yourself on the pump manually. Even if one does not have an IntelliTouch, one could use an IntelliComm to trigger a feature to go on and off based on, say, solar when the temperature is appropriate. You can, however, schedule start and stop times for most features. Features 1 and 2 run for a preset length of time which is 0 to 10 hours (not 10 minutes) so those aren't used for specific start/stop times. It's more like "push this to turn it on and have it go for a certain amount of time". Features 3 through 9 have specific start and stop times.

Features 1 and 2 will automatically go back to Filter mode after the preset length of time. Features 3 to 9 will also go back to Filter mode after their stop time (unless another feature is then turned on). The manual says the times cannot overlap, but I suspect that they can and that the highest flow rate for any active feature will win since that's how it works on the IntelliTouch. The advantage of doing features on the pump itself is that the pump keeps track of the cumulative amount of flow and will shorten the Filter time accordingly so running features at high flow will shorten total pump run time. Unfortunately, this does not happen when one uses the IntelliTouch -- Pentair removed this logic for whatever reason. So Filter mode when using the IntelliTouch always runs for a fixed period of time based on the pool size in gallons divided by the flow rate (for time in minutes).

>> Features 1 and 2 run for a preset length of time which is 0 to 10 hours (not 10 minutes) so those aren't used for specific start/stop times. It's more like "push this to turn it on and have it go for a certain amount of time". Features 3 through 9 have specific start and stop times.

I found out the Modulated Output Flow (M O Flow in the Menu System) does allow only a 00:10 value for runtime, quite odd actually as I can't enter any values greater than 00:59 and once I press Enter, the timevalue shifts to 00:10 (10 minutes). Based on reading the Manual, this MOF function would allow me to run Intervals that would automatically run every NN-minutes inside the Filter Program Cycles.

As MOF now works, it's useless.

Feature 1,2 does allow me to specify 06:00 (6 hours) but appears to demand me to manually press the button on the panel, which is also useless in setting the program to run unattended.

There appears to be no way for me to run the IntelliFlow VF automatically with just the pump and the control panel on the pump where I can shift between 15 GPM and 20 GPM in a programmed mode.

I will not purchase any other controls.

susa said:
There appears to be no way for me to run the IntelliFlow VF automatically with just the pump and the control panel on the pump where I can shift between 15 GPM and 20 GPM in a programmed mode.
That's what features 3 through 9 are for. Pick one of them, set it to 20 GPM, put in the start and stop times, and that should work. Am I missing something? You would just set the start/stop time for the feature to match your second filter start/stop time (or just within that time).

I do something similar with my own pool where I have my Filter times set for 8 hours during the day and another 2 hours at night. I have solar so that automatically raises the GPM as needed when the solar goes on during the day. For the nighttime 2 hour period, I set a feature for my pool cleaner that is set to run in that same time period (I put it within 5 minutes on each side of that time period) and that sets the GPM lower for my cleaner and switches a valve to its dedicated line. I also have features for higher flow rates I can turn on manually. Though I am doing all of this with IntelliTouch, you should be able to do the pre-programmed (i.e. start/stop time) part on the pump itself.

>> Why do you want to do this?

The Macromatic Current Control Relay runs the IntelliChlor Transformer and powers the IC40 Cell.

When flow is running at 15 GPM, the VF uses only 130-140 watts and the IntelliChlor is automatically Off.

When flow is running at 20 GPM, the VF uses about 160-170 watts and IntelliChlor is powered on. This allows me to setup precise intervals where I can run preset lengths of IC40 runtimes or run at reduced speeds where IntelliChlor remains Off.

It's a $90 solution to precisely control when the IntelliChlor is on or off. The IntelliFlow VF is never powered off but even in idle mode, it's control module program is running, drawing about 10 watts. Anytime the IntelliFlow VF drops to below 150 watts, the relay turns off IntelliChlor which is the desired behavior. The Macromatic Relay monitors at all times the power consumed by the pump and can be dialed to control very precisely the allowed runtimes of IntelliChlor.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, Found a software ...
2ed4jex.gif
... in the Pentair IntelliFlow VF programming.

Richard pointed the way in stating to use Feature 3 to set the 20 GPM time period.

The BUG is that unless one accesses Features 4 -- 9 and deliberately sets them outside the timeperiod of Filter Cycle 2, Feature 3 will not allow the time to be programmed. It locks the Start or Stop time as one of the F4--F9 Start/Stop is interfering.

So in my case, if I want to run from 0600 to 1200 or 1800 to 2359 at 20 GPM, I have to first access Features 4 to 9 and leave them in Disabled (default) state but specifically enter bogus time start/stop values that are outside either 0600-1200 and 1800-2359, otherwise Feature 3 will block entering the input values.

Sheesh!.... Pentair should really allow owners a path to upgrade the control software and this bug is not documented anywhere in the online manuals or the packets shipped with the pump.

They do state in the manual that the Feature 3-9 times cannot be overlapping, but they didn't say that this had to be the case even if those features are not enabled. You will note in the manual how their default start/stop times do not overlap even though they are all disabled by default. Pretty lame, I agree.

Re: Setting IntelliFlow VF to run at specific Flow Rate and

learned something new today.

IntelliFlow VF allows one to override any automatic pump calculations for runtimes, not only to increase but also to slow down the speed.

specifically, I used a 6 hour timewindow in the morning, from 0600 to 1159 via Feature 3 (start time at 0601 and stop time at 1159) which overrides the Filter Cycle 1 start time 0600-1159 in that Feature 3 sets a specific 20 GPM flowrate.

this allows me to use the Macromatic Voltage Control Relay to turn on the IntelliChlor for the Cycle 1 runtime.

when the 2nd Cycle 2 starts, from 1800 to 2359, I had not enabled any Features and the pump would run but self-terminate with a Powersaver message when it detected that one complete turnover had been reached.

today I enabled Feature 4 with start time 1801 and stop at 2359 and set flowrate to 15 GPM, thus the Macromatic relay senses below 150 watts of power and while initially the IntelliChlor is switched on for a few minutes for priming, once the speed drops, the IntelliChlor is automatically switched off.

with the Feature 4 enabled, pump runs at slow speed for the timeperiod I wanted.

Re: Setting IntelliFlow VF to run at specific Flow Rate and

I have my IntelliFlo (controlled by IntelliTouch) use a Feature setting that switches a Jandy valve to a dedicated line to my pressure-side The Pool Cleaner and I have the flow rate set to 15 GPM. So yes, the "features" override the normal calculated "turnover" flow rate and such an override flow rate can be lower. Note, however, that if you have more than one feature enabled at the same time, the highest flow rate of those features will be used. This has forced me to have The Pool Cleaner run at night when there is no sun on the pool. Otherwise, the solar "feature" will force a higher flow rate (48 GPM) when there is sun on the panels and the pool needs heating which is not good going through a 1.5" dedicated line and mostly flowing out of the pressure relief valve where The Pool Cleaner hose attaches to the wall.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.