Northstar failing - New pump or motor or what?

Hal3

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 29, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
First - how do I tell which Northstar pump model I have? I'm not sure of the manufacture date because it was here when we bought the house in 06.

The old pump developed a bad bearing, probably. I used a freelance pool repair guy recommended by a neighbor and he said he could replace the bearings - which he did - and it ran OK for about two months and now is dead again.

Having already paid out some money on this issue I'm thinking about just ordering a new motor and installing it myself and coming out about even.

I only have 115 volts in the pool equipment area. I was quoted $900 to bring in 220V service to the location. It is quite a distance from the main service and has to go around the basketball court (OK. I'm a cheapskate) anyway ... I think that option is out.

All the new variable speed pumps are 220V so they are out.

That leaves an option for a two-speed 115V motor that fits my Northstar but I'm not sure which model Northstar I have.

I was thinking of adding one of these:

http://www.inyopools.com/Products/02400001004219.htm

to time the two speed pump and save electricity without spending for a variable speed pump and a new 220V line.

I need a new timer for my Polaris so it is not as bad as it seems.

Any suggestions? Is there an efficient two speed pump for the Northstar that will run on 115V?

There is a 1HP (1.4 HP rated) motor on the Northstar now but I am not entirely sure it did not come with a bigger motor initially.

Thanks for any thoughts or advice!

Thanks!

I guess that will not do 115V?

I called a place online re 2-speed 115v replacement pump and he said "no such animal for Northstar"

Back to the drawing board ...

You can put a two speed on a Northstar, in fact, I have done just that. The only thing you need to look for is a 56J frame motor with a threaded shaft. Of course it needs to be sized correctly but if you can read the motor label you have, you should be able to figure out which one you need. Just make sure the HP * Service Factor of the new motor is at least as big as the old motor.

Also, you can change the impeller if you want to at the same, again what I did. I went from a Full Rated 1 HP Norhstar down to a 1/2 HP full rated two speed Northstar although they don't sell them configured that way.

Anyone of these motors will fit a Northstar. Some of the motors have smaller diameter but you can still use them and shim the housing for the mount. I actually used a 1 HP up rated Superpump two speed in the Northstar housing and the only thing I had to do was shim the mount some.

Bingo!

That looks like exactly what I want.

B973 3/4 HP 3450/1725 115V Service Factor 1.50 11.2/5.0 28 lbs. $288.93
STS1102RV1 1 HP 3450/1725 230V Service Factor 1.50 8.5/2.5 29 lbs. $288.93
B969 1.5 HP 3450/1725 115V Service Factor 1.10 14.6/4.4 35 lbs. $334.14

So ... the 1 HP is out because it's 230V.

3/4 or 1.5?

I have a 1.0 rated at 1.4 now. I'm planning on cutting electrcity consumption. I need some hours on the pump for the SWG.

I'm thinking thinking 3/4 ... so I need to get the downsized impeller?

Thanks so much for the info and advice!

I have a 1.0 rated at 1.4 now

I believe that is for the 1 HP uprated rated pump (SP4007X10NS). You don't need to change the impeller but because of the size, it is a little more difficult to match the motor. The SN1072 is a single speed direct replacement but unfortunately, the Northstar never came in a 1 HP uprated two speed version so that means you will have to find the next best fit as I did. The B969 is probably your best choice since it is less than 20% oversized. I believe the B969 is the same diameter as your old motor so you won't have to shim it. But don't forget to get a seal kit because you will probably want to replace that as well when replacing the motor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.