High CYA and burning skin

ivyleager

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 6, 2007
Raleigh-Durham,NC
I was recently at a friend's pool and my daughter experienced red, burning, irritated skin. It didn't happen while we were in the pool, but when we were home and changed out of the suits. Also, I noticed that the water had a strange smell (not chlorine-like) and tasted absolutely horrible. This friend puts pucks in the chlorinator and turns the dial up. She was BBB convert last year, but now that she's a single Mom, she's reverted to "throw the pucks in and forget it".

Could the skin burning, smell, and bad taste be VERY VERY high CYA? Even this woman's daughter says our pool water is better. :lol:

CaryB

Welcome to TFP!

High CYA won't cause those symptoms directly, but it will tend to create the conditions that allow other things to get out of hand and thus the problems. With high CYA it is difficult to keep enough chlorine in the pool to remain sanitary. It is also likely that other things are wrong as well, such as the PH being out of range. Using tablets without paying much attention tends to drive the PH down to dangerous levels (both for people and the pool equipment).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.