Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High CYA and burning skin

1. Back To Top    #1

High CYA and burning skin

I was recently at a friend's pool and my daughter experienced red, burning, irritated skin. It didn't happen while we were in the pool, but when we were home and changed out of the suits. Also, I noticed that the water had a strange smell (not chlorine-like) and tasted absolutely horrible. This friend puts pucks in the chlorinator and turns the dial up. She was BBB convert last year, but now that she's a single Mom, she's reverted to "throw the pucks in and forget it".

Could the skin burning, smell, and bad taste be VERY VERY high CYA? Even this woman's daughter says our pool water is better.

CaryB
    CaryB
    36 x 18 IG vinyl, 25K, 1 HP pump, sand filter
    1 skimmer, 2 returns, no main drain
    Old school: PoolSolutions test kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    Welcome to TFP!

High CYA won't cause those symptoms directly, but it will tend to create the conditions that allow other things to get out of hand and thus the problems. With high CYA it is difficult to keep enough chlorine in the pool to remain sanitary. It is also likely that other things are wrong as well, such as the PH being out of range. Using tablets without paying much attention tends to drive the PH down to dangerous levels (both for people and the pool equipment).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Thanks, I'll ask if she's checked her pH recently. I suspect she hasn't, as she mentioned that she no longer checks the chlorine........

CaryB
    CaryB
    36 x 18 IG vinyl, 25K, 1 HP pump, sand filter
    1 skimmer, 2 returns, no main drain
    Old school: PoolSolutions test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Hi, Cary,

Welcome.

Jason's got the right advice...just wanted to say "hey".
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School